General Area in 14423>Question Details

Joan, Home Buyer in Central Colorado City,...

we just bought an old home with a well. They diclosed the water has no bacteria.. We get in and the water is horrible and has 6 times the sodium

Asked by Joan, Central Colorado City, Colorado Springs, CO Fri Sep 4, 2009

content it is soposto have. When this well was dug 4 years go or so, is the information about the well kept on public records? How can i find out who dug ti so i can call them and chat about fixing this problem. The sellers of the house are really not very helpful and i dont want to argue with them!

Answers

4
Yes, better testing would have helped. Sodium shows up as NA+ in water which is included in more extensive lab analysis like the one I use.

A Reverse-Osmosis filter system will remove it for drinking water, but does not have the capacity for the whole house. I am not certain, but a whole house water softener system may remove sodium. Call your "Culligan Man". It should be resolvable.
Thanks for both of your answers. The thing is.. we did close on the house. We did have a realtor. Talking to water people, wel drillers, filter suppliers.. this is all a headache in addition to the HUGe project we have tackled on remodeling this old school house. hmmmmmm.. thanks... I guess i am disapointed in our Realtor not advising us to have a better inspection done. We are new to the whole Well thing!!
There are well water tests which test only for coliform bateria. Unfortunately, it is not enough. More thorough tests include arsenic, nitrates, nitrites, copper, & lead. I'm not familiar with anything testing for sodium, but it sounds like your water was only tested for bacteria.

Have it tested further and check into filteration and/or conditioning systems which address the bad things in your water. You can go to your local analytical laboratory and get a kit for testing the water. The well driller will only be able to suggest relocating the well or drilling it deeper, with no guarantee of results.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 5, 2009
Joan I would conract your home inspector and go over the well test results again with them.If there is a propblem it need to be adressed before closing on the property check with your Realtor® on that. Good luck and I am glad you had the well tested. I know someone who bought a property without a Realtor® that thought they did not need a home inspection because they were in construction. The well was bad and the wife got a liver disease, the husband got gum infections and had to have all his teeth pulled. The solution to their well problem was to put a 6000.00 filtration and purifing system on it.
They sure would have saved a lot of problems by getting a 50.00 test done.
Web Reference: http://www.Find1Home.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 5, 2009