Ousaf, Both Buyer and Seller in Colorado Springs, CO

we bought in Broadmoor Bluffs a year ago. Now found out that all of Broadmoor Bluffs is considered landslide area. Should this have been disclosed?

Asked by Ousaf, Colorado Springs, CO Mon Aug 16, 2010

Just wondering if this should not have been disclosed at time of sale? We had no idea when we bougth that we did buy in major landslide area. There are maps from geological institute that we looked at recently plus we found lots of fact on "regency drive" disaster on internet but all too late for us

Answers

6
Great Answers below folks,... I was not aware of a "Landslide" issue,.. that being stated I am aware that there is bentanite in the area and let eacj of my clients know what it is and how it reacts with water,.. the nice thing about the condition is that it is difficult to hide on a matured home,.. the same is true for Rockrimmon area,.. the closer you get to the mountain the more of an issue the condition presents.
First of all, I hope you are not experiencing any structural issues on your home. The seller and/or agent may have had no idea about the fault lines we have in Colorado Springs. As a general rule, anywhere west of I-25 has a potential for soils issues. This is not limited to Broadmoor Bluffs.

The major threat of structural damage to homes is expansive soil, especially when combined with abundant water and poor grading around the foundation. Builders and engineers have come a long way in the last 25 years to mitigate this risk but there is still a potential for slight settling. Major structural damage like the unfortunate case on Regency Drive is rare. Minor settling is more common and the newer homes are built to minimize this potential. Most reputable builders have incorporated techniques such as floating framed walls in basements, adding structural fill or piers during excavation (if expansive soils are present) and installing foundation drains.

A couple of things that you can do to minimize the risk of expansive soils would be to make sure you have positive drainage away from your foundation, check that all your gutters are debris free, make sure the downspouts are not clogged & directed away from the house and limit the amount of water to the landscaping near the foundation.
Hello Ousaf,

If the agent or seller knew, it should have been disclosed. This is a prime example of reasons to use educated agents familiar with the area (I'm not saying you used a poor agent). This is huge and should be a well known subject for agents who want to work in the area. Maybe it's because of the many short sales/bpos I've been involved with over there, but this is a real issue in Broadmoor Bluffs as many homes have large cracks in the walls running from floor to ceiling.

I'm not a contractor but when the driveway is splitting in half, and anyone who knows the area knows this is not an exaggeration, and these cracks are consistent through a home on several homes on the same street/hillside, you can't help but wonder given the area's history. Also when I am given estimates from a structural engineer to factor in or report to the bank, you wonder why this information isn't well known because you don't order an engineer without good reason. It's almost like people are afraid of what it will do to values so they just keep quiet about it. Buyers need to be informed.
Hi Ousaf, Broadmoor Bluffs has areas where there has been landslide issues that I am aware of. In Colorado sellers and Brokers have to disclose adverse conditions that they know about. If you have a question about it I suggest having a structural engineer come do an analysis on your home to get an expert's opinion on the status. If it is more a question about the area please feel free to email or call with more specific questions.

Kelly

719-226-0126
Red Rock Realty
I have sold homes in the Broadmoor Bluffs / Star Ranch area before without hearing anything about that from the seller. I knew of it from a class I had taken. I told the buyers they could have engineering reports done if they had concerns (as I would tell sellers today). The truth is most people don't know. Much like many don't know about the huge array of mine shafts under Rockrimmon.

Are you currently having issues?

Jamie Heath

Heath Real Estate
Colorado Springs, CO
http://www.jamieheath.com
Hi Ousaf,

Disclosed by who?
The selling agent?
The seller?

It can only be disclosed if they themselves knew about the landslide area. May have also been in your NHD report assuming you received one.

good luck

Chris Blasic
Realty world & Associates