General Area in Ellijay>Question Details

Lgbrooks, Home Buyer in Texas

we are looking to retire in the vicinity of Ellijay Ga., but we need low humidity in summers and little snow

Asked by Lgbrooks, Texas Mon Nov 12, 2007

in winters, and my husband insists on a view, mountains, etc.
Are we heading in the right area? We looked in central Or/ too, but long depressing months of rains and overcast is not what we want.
Please any tips or info you can give us is truly appreciated, especially since we will ne moving very shortly.
Thank-you
Luciana
cglb95@yahoo.com

Answers

8
Moving here from Miami, I find the humidity much lower. We have seasons and trees and peace and quiet. What's not to like?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 1, 2014
The North GA mountains (including Ellijay) are are great place to start your search. Originally from Central Florida and then living in Atlanta for a few years, I find Ellijay a great improvement. We have four mild seasons and still only an hour from Atlanta if business or pleasure calls.
We too are from Tampa and relocated to Ellijay in 1999.Leased for a year to be sure we wanted to stay there.
We decided to build in 2000 at Carters Lake Estates.Very quiet,serene area with mountain views,valleys and lots of wildlife.Being from Fla the humidity is nothing like Fla,much milder and the changes of seasons and the small amount of snow was a novelty to us that we enjoyed.We are minutes away from Carters lake that is known for its recreation,boating,great fishing,camping etc.It is the deepest lake east of the Mississippi.Our home was built to Fla's standards,hurricane clips on roof and many extras that builders in Ga do not do.My husband and son are both in construction so we know it is solid.Ellijay offers a slower pace than Tampa and if retired as we are you are ready for that lifestyle.Home is 20 minutes from town and as in Tampa it takes 20-30 minutes to get any where.We ventured in every direction to check out different areas.You can drive to NC,ALA,Tenn,SC for the day.
We recently moved to Phoenix,Az,from the beach,to the mountains,now to the desert.We have a son that lives here and we want to explore the west coast.
Our home in Ellijay is on the market and listed here on trulia if you are interested. 333 Drena Drive.
Good luck with your move and check out the different communitys before you buy,some are not what they seem to be.You will find "southern hospitality"in Ellijay and there is so much history and interesting places to visit.

Bette
Hi, Luciana,

my husband and I have been looking at Western NC for 18 years and just recently discovered the beauty of Ellijay and have now decided to look for our retirement in that beautiful little town. I wanted to find out what you and your husband did? Did you buy in Ellijay and how have you found the experience. Even in Western NC (Cashiers, Sylva, Franklin) we decided after talking to so many people that the weather and elevation can be too severe in the winters and because we are coming from Tampa, Fl are looking for mild winters and a cleaner more cohesive town, which Ellijay appears to be. Any advice you can give me would be very appreciated. We will be going this coming March to try to find a home to buy.

Bev
BevD086@Yahoo.com
The humidity here is less than Atlanta and the temperatures are cooler. We get just a light covering of snow in the winter, but nothing that usually disrupts driving or living.

We have a great view of the hills from our home and are very happy here.

If you would like to see more of the activities and pictures of the area, check out the website BlueMooseToDo.com. Good luck on your move!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 30, 2009
Hi Luciana,
Welcome to the North Ga. Mountains! Blue Ridge, Ellijay, Blairsville, Hiwassee-all offer great mountain views, himidity one can live with, and on Saturday we had the most beautiful snow. Big fluffy flakes fell heavily from about 9AM-noon. It settled on trees, railings, cars, but not the roads. My husband went out and took pictures before it disappeared, about 2pM. You see, we get ornamental snow here-seldom hinders traffic for more than an hour or two, looks great then is gone. We have the best of all 4 seasons and maybe more than best in the fall with our leaf colors! I am an agent with Century 21 in Blue Ridge and would be happy to assist you in getting to know our area a little more, send you some listings to get a feel for our types of cabins/homes and maybe a relocator package to give you some local information. I live between Blue Ridge and Ellijay in a golf community,(my husband is retired and loves golf). Our course is public so there is no obligation for residents to join. There are good health services in the area, Ellijay has a Super WalMart and a great shopping area. Both Ellijay and Blue Ridge have historic downtown areas with shops, etc. We are only an hour - hour and half to downtown Atlanta or Chattanooga. I can set you up on an email alert system that will let you know when properties are listed that meet your criteria so you will be current on what is available in our market. Please feel free to visit my website for further information and listings. Let me know if I can assis you in any way.
Judy Aselton, Realtor-appraiser, ePRO
Century 21 Professional Realty Group
Blue Ridge, Ga.
judy@judyaselton.com
Cell: 678-463-1129 Office: 706-632-2041
Web Reference: http://www.judyaselton.com
Luciana,

I have resided in Ellijay since leaving Atlanta in 2003. Though the places James suggested are beautiful, the question of the degree of humidity is relative isn't it? I lived in South Florida and the metro Atlanta area for many years and compared to those places the humidity here is much lower. Just the temperatures from Atlanta which is only an hour or so away are typically 5 or more degrees cooler here.
Since I too wanted to see mountains I chose a home that sits at a higher elevation that affords views as well as cool breezes in the summer that can help delay the use of air conditioning. The first year I was here I used the air less than 10 times! This was unusual, but there is something to be said about mountain breezes, not to mention all the shade my many huge trees afford.
Snow has never been an issue for me here though ice has. I am originally from the New England area and have seen my share of snow, but ice is treacherous no matter where you live. My experience has been that what ice we do get, and it can be worse in higher elevations, is gone by mid day. There was an instance several years ago where an ice storm kept people at home for several days so I have been told, so it can happen, it is just rare.
I hope this will give you some insight into our weather here in the mountains of N GA and I wish you and your husband all the best in your decision.
Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can assist you in any way.

Carolyn
Lgbrooks,

As much as I love my home state I think you should consider Western North Carolina. The mountain views in this area are spectacular and the opportunity for snowfall is much better than Georgia.

I would look into areas such as Cashiers, Sylva, Franklin, Bryson City. My aunt lives in Sylva and I just love that area of N.C. I think it will provide for much of the criteria you are looking for.

I know of a few agents in that area and would be happy to get you their contact information if you are interested.