General Area in Sands Point>Question Details

Chica, Other/Just Looking in Sands Point, NY

since so many people check online to see values of homes before they even look at them, how do you correct wrong information on zillow, etc

Asked by Chica, Sands Point, NY Wed Feb 8, 2012

Date of construction, square footage, lack of information,I.e.Attic

Answers

4
Ask your agent to call the site and urge correction of any errors you discover.

The real estate websites are aggregators, they pull data from all over the place, lots of it wrong, and it would be a full-time job just to watch over them. However, I have phoned aggregator sites and successfully obtained edits that benefited my clients. Brokerages buy ads on these websites, and therefore they tend to listen to agents.

Karla Harby
Lic. Real Estate Salesperson
Charles Rutenberg LLC
Manhattan
212-688-1000 x146
kharby@crrnyc.com
IF you yourself have a property on zillow, you can go in, as long as the listing belongs to you and/or your broker, and enhance it's features and/or add to comments, etc. It does have to be your property or a property that is listed with a broker.

Lillian Tramantano, GRI, CHMS
Associate Broker
516-678-6648
ltramantano@coachrealtors.com
Successfully Marketing & Selling Real Estate For Over 26 Years!
Nassau County has another important tool for determining property value, the public MLS site for Long Island. You can go to the sold properties link, put in the address, and you will see other homes that are sold.
Aside from that, the important thing is that buyers who are looking in Sands Point are most likely going to be using a realtor, and will have some level of trust in that person. With any luck, they will be using a loan officer who is familiar with the area, and will be helping even at this stage to guide them as well. I am not an appraiser, but I have looked at enough appraisals to know what is important, and what they will usually adjust for. I also cross reference properties on the Nassau County assessor's site so that I know the square footage of the various homes, and also important in Sands Point, the property size.
From you question, it seems that you might be a seller, and not a buyer. You may not be able to do anything about zillow, but I would be happy to talk to you either way.
If buyers are really interested in the purchase of a property, they will enter into a buyer brokerage agreement with an agent. Agents pull information from many listing sites. Most agents know their area values and do not rely on info from one site. Ask your agent to compare Zillow with other sites such as MLS.

Joseph Brown
516-297-3146
http://www.EastMeadowJoeBrown.com
Century 21 American Homes