General Area in 85345>Question Details

Karen Bass, Other/Just Looking in 91722

property taxes on a mobile home purchased may 2012

Asked by Karen Bass, 91722 Mon Sep 10, 2012

I just purchased a mobile home from a private seller in May of 2012 the seller called and advuswd that she got a starement that property taxes are now do for 2012 who owes the priperty taxes? We did a simple title transfur, I paid cash. No taxes were involved. who owes the property taxes. I'm thinking that I only owe 1third of the taxes is that correct?

Answers

2
Ok, this brings up an interesting type situation. Normally the title company will prorate the taxes at closing. However, it appears that you did not go through a title company. For this reason you may end up having to pay all the taxes if the seller is not willing to work with you. Taxes generally become a lein on the property and the property is now yours so it is probably going to be your problem to deal with. Hopefully you can get the seller to at least pay some of it.
You should have pro-rated the property taxes through the day of closing, charging the seller for taxes through the day of closing and crediting the seller for any taxes paid that would be your responsibility after your closing date. Good luck!