General Area in 33896>Question Details

jackthelass, Other/Just Looking in Davenport, FL

our property manager failed to make our home legally compliant we had guests staying in the house on numerous

Asked by jackthelass, Davenport, FL Sat Nov 8, 2008

occasions, when we arrived from England and found that the house did not comply with Florida law we paid him 1 months fees and terminated the contract, his contract stated that he would insure that we were compliant, he has a 90 day notice period but we have already engaged another company, he has threatened to put a lien on our home if we do not pay him for the 90 days, I understand he has the right to do this, but do we have the right to have it removed as he clearly broke his own contract, what we need to know is would it be more expensive to have it removed than it would be to pay him off, any answers greatly appreciated

Answers

6
sorry to hear that JAck.

Which management company was it? I am about to go into the same scheme as you and I want to make sure I avoid these guys....
Tony
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 7, 2013
Jack,

I am so sorry to hear about this unfortunate event. I've heard stories like this all too many times by vacation homeowners that come to me asking for advice on a new management company. I would never attach my name with any of the management companies in Orlando because I know how the business works. There are some better than others but I haven't met a customer yet who is 100% satisfied with their management company.

I am so sorry they took advantage of you like this and I sure hope you look into a different company. I can understand how frustrating it is when you're all the way in the UK and you get this bomb dropped on you like this. One thing I always reccomend doing is not getting into a binding contract with any one company. I reccomend using a company that is will allow you to go month to month. They have more motivation to keep up the good service because they know you can just leave if you don't like it. There are companies that will do this for you. Florida Finesse is one (I am not affiliated with this company and am not saying you should use them) they are in Davenport. There are also others.

Good luck Jack!!

Cheers,

Erica Muller
Thank you for your responses, I am sorry if the question was placed inappropriately, I have now found out that he makes a habit of this, I have had a lawyer look over the contract and he is in no doubt that a court would indeed remove the lien, but I may have to make a court appearance, it is just not cost effective to fly from the UK to do this, I believe we will have to pay him his fees, it does not sit well with me as I feel like I have been mugged, I fully intend to report him to DBPR as I am sure that more of properties he manages are probably not compliant, many thanks for your coments
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 9, 2008
A Real Estate attorney may be helpful, but so might an attorney who deals with contracts as you have a contract issue. Perhaps you can find an attorney who is knowledgable in both areas. Maybe you or your attorney could work something out with the rental agent through mediation prior to his placing a lein.

Carol Ann Sargeant
H & M Realty of Polk County
Web Reference: http://www.h-mrealty.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 9, 2008
Jack,

To deal with this in the correct manner we also recommend that you seek the advice of a real estate attorney that will be able to deal with the issue and protect you from future problems that may result if not handled properly.

Best wishes
The Eckler Team
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 9, 2008
I suggest you contact an attorney. This is a legal question, not a real estate question.

Carol Ann Sargeant
H & M Realty of Polk County
carolann@h-mrealty.com
Web Reference: http://www.h-mrealty.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 9, 2008