General Area in Sparta>Question Details

Raptyme, Home Buyer in Mesquite, TX

our home foundation is sinking my now husband bought the house 2yrs a go, without knowing about the foundation, and now we can not afford to repair,

Asked by Raptyme, Mesquite, TX Sun Feb 14, 2010

it. the concrete is cracking on the floors underneath the rugs what would be your suggestion

Help the community by answering this question:


Sonyac’s answer
I work for Advanced Foundation Repair. As a first step, I would suggest pulling back the carpet to see what you have. You might have a crack or you might have a thin coating that was applied to your slab to level the floor in the area of the problem, or you may have an old patch, say for a plumbing repair, that is breaking. Then I would call a contractor to get an estimate.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 22, 2010
Do not count on an insurance claim. Generally water damage from outside water is not covered. Also and otherwise known as freezing thawing bulging of foundations caused by water. IF your house collapsed then you may have a covered claim.

Best to seek a public adjuster before yo even seek to turn in a claim such as that. Insurance companies could think you have some eminent danger of collapse and want to non renew you before something happens.

Larry Sarlo
Weichert Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 14, 2010
Well, cracking isn't always fatal. I'd get the aforementioned foundation experts in, and see if it requires immediate attention or not. If it does, then I'd worry - but not until then!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 14, 2010
You may have an insurance claim. Give your agent a call.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 14, 2010
Hello Rap and thanks for your post.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to be brief because, for some odd reason, Trulia's answer window and my computer are having problems. So here are you answers, very quickly.

Cracking in the concrete is not necessarily "sinking" but could be simply poor drainage around the 'on-grade' slab foundation that is being pulled apart by the expansive soil beneath the home. Texas, like California and many parts of the West, suffers from "Adobe" soil that is "expansive" (meaning, it holds water and "grows") and the result is visible and sometimes prominent cracking in the slab foundation. Unless Mesquite also has a high water table under the soil, the ground is probably rising (not sinking) in some areas and pulling laterally in others.

As the others have already noted, call either a foundation expert or structural engineer to help you. In most cases--at least here in California--unless the situation is gravely severe (in which case, we "jack up" the building), foundation or slab cracks can be repaired as simply as correcting drainage and epoxy filling the cracks.. However, only an expert can guide you in what is needed for the home.

Good luck!
Grace Morioka, SRES
Area Pro Realty
San Jose, CA
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 14, 2010
I agree with Jeanne, Structural engineer more than a home inspector.

Worth the little bit of cost to know exactly what is the problem. It could be something that was recently done near your property that has caused your problem. They'll be able to tell you what the problem is.

It's like feeling ill and not seeing a doctor or not going for the tests... Find out the problem and you'll know your solution.

Good luck. I hope it all works out to be less than what you may think...

Larry Sarlo
Weichert Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 14, 2010
Hi there, agree with Debbie, a structural engineer will be needed to assess the problem and recommend a cure.

Good luck to you!
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Find success at
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 14, 2010
Well, Raptyme - you didn't say whether you have called in an expert to diagnose your problem. If you haven't, that's what I'd suggest you do first.

Once you have done that, or if you have already done that, you should then have an estimate for correcting the problem.

If, indeed, the foundation is "sinking" really will need to do whatever you can to correct it.
Maybe someone from Texas can help you figure out a way to get some kind of loan to correct this......but first you need to determine exactly what it is you're dealing with.

Unfortunatley, in my opinion, ths is not something you can ignore.

Best wishes...........
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 14, 2010
Tough question to answer. I would get a licensed home inspector to give you a proffessional report on the situation. Most builders are held liable for quite some time on major issues such as sinking foundations. The concrete floor cracking under the rugs however might be an unrelated issue.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 14, 2010
Much of Texas has expansive clay soils. Make sure that your drainpipes are away from your houses foundation. I saw that you need to be careful of how you water everything to maintain a good balance between to much and to little water.

Has the concrete just cracked, or has it moved up and down? Some small cracks may not be a big deal, but shifting usually is. I would have a foundation company look it over and get a repair cost. It may not be as expensive as you fear. Or maybe, it is worse. You will only know once you have it checked out by those who can tell for sure.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 14, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer