General Area in 11733>Question Details

Geri, Home Owner in 11733

need a attorney for star program problem on long island ny

Asked by Geri, 11733 Fri Jun 17, 2011

I own two homes one in florida one on long island ny . My Florida home is my first home and I have a homestead program for it in florida ,now they say I have a star program in NY and there is a problem I never appyied in NY for the star but when I went down to the state offices they said they do not keep records and I offered to settle it some how but they won't help. Mean while Florida wants to end my homestead cause I can't prove any of this I need help

Help the community by answering this question:


New York allows the star program for primary homes only. You will not be able to claim the Star Exemption for the New York home if Florida is your primary home.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jun 22, 2011
The issue here seems to be that you are claiming two primary residences; that doesn't work. You might end up losing Star & Homestead Exemption.

Only one residence can be your primary; you'll have to pay full tax on the other.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 17, 2011
You only have to declare Homestead each year when they send the post card out! Proof of residents are bills addressed to you from that home!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 17, 2011
Hi Geri,

I will be glad to do some research for you regarding your home in NY. Please email me or call me your property address.
Jane Zilpelwar
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 17, 2011
Feel free to directly contact me for recomendations; or check for recommendations by contacting any local Chamber of Commerce, or the local Bar Associations, see links below...…
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 17, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer