General Area in San Jose>Question Details

Babuyer, Home Buyer in San Jose, CA

mold issue

Asked by Babuyer, San Jose, CA Thu Jun 2, 2011

There is mold under carpet about 15SF in our rental house. We cleaned it. Do we need to get a mold free cert?

Help the community by answering this question:

Answers

8
Hi Babu

Regret to hear that you have mold issues in your rental property.
Babu, the most important issue is to address the cause of the dampness, otherwise you
Are doing a temporary fix. It's likely that you bought is a REO or a short sale and now updating it.

If you are renting or going to live in it this property it is prudent to get professional help to
Address the proble.

Good luck.
Perry
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 11, 2011
Hi Babuyer,

In answer to your follow up question. For mold to have been present in the first place, moisture is coming from somewhere. Did your Contractor do a thorough walk through of the home? You must find where the moisture is coming from or the Mold will come back. And your Licensed Mold Inspector will be the person to consult as to what mold is present and how to go about cleaning it up. Good luck!

Matt
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 3, 2011
Carl gave you sound advice.

Are you going to sell it or rent out the home? In either event a disclosure of the issue and remedy is advised. Only a mold inspector can determine if it is mold and the type of mold. The way the mold was addressed is important in order for any contractor to certify it is clear.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 3, 2011
Thanks for your advices.

I'm the landlord. The house is vacant now. The bedroom is on the 2nd story. Our contractor checked the subfloor and told us that we don't need to replace the subfloor.

There should be no water in that bedroom. So the mold won't come back, right?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 2, 2011
Hi Babuyer,

As Christopher and Andrea mentioned below make sure that you contact a Licensed Mold Inspector. Once the property has been inspected and properly treated the Mold Inspector should be able to provide you with the proper documentation verifying that the work has been completed by a licensed company. I hope this helps.

Warmest regards,

Matt
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 2, 2011
Babuyer:

I’m not sure if by “rental house” you mean the home you are renting or the home you own that you rent out …

Answers will be different for each. First all, the explanation:

The issue with mold is determining its cause. It’s not enough to simply clean it and hope for the best. Mold originates with moisture – find the source of the moisture and you will usually locate the source of the mold. To eradicate mold, you have to treat locally, replace any infected materials that have been damaged AND remove the ongoing source of moisture.

In some cases, it’s a very simple fix. In other cases, it can be a huge issue and you’ll need to call in professional help.

In the case of mold under carpets, it could be from constant spills, pets and moisture from above. It’s why you should NEVER install carpeting in a bathroom or kitchen. Surface moisture will more than likely result in the need to replace the carpet – I’m guessing you were doing just that when you found the mold. In addition to replacing the carpet, you need to make sure you are not getting any moisture from below. Standing water in a crawlspace or leaky pipes in a concrete slab will frequently translate to mold in the floor above.

After you are SURE the moisture source has been dealt with, allow the area to completely dry, treat the area for mold (ensuring you use a fungal inhibitor on the surface) and replace any damaged surface materials as required.

Which then brings up the answer to your question:

If you rent – contact your landlord and ask that the area be properly dealt with and certified free of mold.

If you own and there are currently renters in the property, they may ask you for a certificate. If the property is vacant, then as long as you can guarantee that the mold has been completely and properly dealt with, then you should not need a mold certificate.

If you have any other questions, check the following link from the City of San Jose – go down to the section entitled “Watch Out For Mold and Mildew.”

http://www.sanjoseca.gov/codeEnforcement/sj_top10.asp
.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 2, 2011
It is best to contact a mold professional. Mold can be very dangerous especially for children, the elderly and anyone with respiratory or asthmatic issues. I'm sure you don't want to make anyone sick. Furthermore, aren't you curious WHY the mold was there in the first place?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 2, 2011
Hi Babuy,

You can best serve your interests and the interests of the next or current occupants by contacting a professional who is an expert in this field to answer this question properly and accurately.
One starting point could be a mold remediation expert. There are several in the area.

Kind regards,
Chris
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 2, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer