General Area in Centreville>Question Details

Prashanth, Home Buyer in Fairfax, VA

looking at townhomes in Centerville (zip 20120 and 20121) near the 66 & 29 intersection. Is that a good area ?

Asked by Prashanth, Fairfax, VA Sat Sep 29, 2007

Answers

19
I've owned in Centreville since before the current boom/bubble. Whether the following are pro's or con's will differ with each buyer: good central driving location 25 miles/45 minutes in non-rush hour from DC at junction of I-66, 28 and 29. Most of today's existing Centreville was built pretty much overnight circa 1985-87 when three big developers swarmed a quiet country crossroads and, with no central plan, slapped up four large strip malls and assorted TH developments around what is now the cloverleaf intersection. Accordingly there's no 'center' to Centreville, it's classic bedroom suburbia 2.3 kids/SUV/honor student bumper sticker country. Because it was built circa 1987, the TH layouts meander in wooded cul de sacs of much less density than more modern chess-grid TH layout plans. High school is a solid B+. Low crime, you can jog or walk the dog in safety at midnight. No fine dining options currently, but plenty of pleasant enough casual dining, a multiplex, a surprisingly good Library. Best burger pub: O'Toole's. Lifetime Fitness 24 hour megagym. A few minutes' drive to Dulles Airport, Fair Oaks Mall, Costco, Home Depot, Wegman's, etc. Nearby: 10,000 acres of Bull Run battlefield park. Common TH complaints: too many older layouts with all street parking, or 1 car garages with no parking provision for car #2. Unpredictably litigious HOA enforcements a frequent topic. Increasingly visible Korean community. Well located for equidistant drivetimes. But then, you have to drive to anywhere you want to be. Not a magnet zip code for the artsy hip single. Motto: 'Not As Expensive As Fairfax, Not As Tacky As Manassas Park'. $400k 2005 3br TH's now $275-300, still descending. Will recover sooner than Prince William & most of Loudon. Check out 2 car garage newer TH's or older 80's single family's like Little Rocky Run.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 25, 2008
Hi Prashanth,

Below is a link to Townhomes currently listed on Trulia in this area. Perhaps taking a look at some of the available inventory and pictures of those homes will help you.

Best Wishes,

Emily Gibson
Customer Service Representative
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 1, 2007
Centreville is about 30 miles outside of downtown D.C. and a safe area with good schools. While there is no 'happening' downtown area, there are plenty of good places to eat/shop/exercise/catch a movie nearby. Arlington's excellent nightlife is a 15-20 minute drive, and DC 35-45 during off-peak hours (see below for rush hour details). It is not a walking community - you will need a car to get around. Relative to other parts of the DC area, you get good value in terms of both townhomes and single family homes. The price you pay, of course, is the commute. While only 30 miles to downtown DC, you will feel the pain of DC's unfortunate "2nd worst city in the nation" designation. Route 66 is a bear and the HOV doesn't go much faster. Lee Highway (Route 29) has less volume during rush hour, but the speed limit and lights will slow you down. Commutes can be 1-2 hours each way. For homeowners who work in Northern Virgina, however, the commute is more reasonable. In terms of the housing market, Centreville, like many of DC's 'burbs, is suceptible to declining prices, while areas closer in are tending to hold their value a bit better. It has not, however, experienced the sliding prices to the same degree of slightly further out communities such as Manasses. Centreville is not a neighborhood where you would want to "flip" something or sell in a year. Make a good deal on a nice place with a low, fixed, 30 year interest rate with a payment you feel comfortable with. You will find that Centreville is a nice, clean, safe community that gives you the chance to spread out a little without spending 50+ percent of your salary on your mortgage. Just so you know, I am NOT a real estate agent, but an investor, consultant, and close watcher of the DC area. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2007
Due to federal laws, real estate agents are limited as to what kind of information we can provide regarding neighborhood characteristics. However, I can provide you with resources to find the information. For crime statistics in Fairfax County, go to http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/statistics.

For school information, there are several web sites that might be useful:
http://www.fcps.edu/Reporting/
http://www.schoolranks.com/
http://www.psk12.com/rating/USindexphp/STATE_VA.html

Please feel free to contact me directly if you need additional information.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2007
Centreville is popular because of its location and Park & Ride Lots (2-3). the 20121 zip is located south of Rt. 29 and the 20120 is north or Rt. 29. Depending on your needs and price range, some areas may be more desirable depending of whether or not you have school age children and prefer one school over another. School information can be obtained from the Fairfax Ct. web site: http://www.fcps.com. If you would like a list of properties for sale, send your parameters to my e-mail: joann.prociv@longandfoster.com
Not only is it a good area. History has shown that is has had the some of the highest appreciation rates for townhome neighborhoods in Fairfax County from the late 80's into the early 2000's. However it must viewed relative to certain neighborhoods which have easy access to major arteries and which ones have good access to major employment centers. Those do better in value gains than other neighborhoods, and therefore they also have better resale opportunities when markets get tough. Get someone to guide you who knows the better values and neighborhoods. It will put money back in your pocket on resale. You can start your home search of Centreville, VA homes for sale at http://www.allfairfaxvahomesforsale.com
This is surely a good location. Its within easy acecss to two major travel avenues. I have sold and listed many homes in this area and my clients have been happy. There are so many different home types from condos, to single family and townhomes.. in every price range and every style. The fact that its in FFX County is a plus as well as this county is known for its excellent school systems and more. If you have any questions, please feel free to call me. Good luck.
Townhouses in Centreville are a good buy. Price and size vary with your ability to purchase. Commuting from that location is great if you do not have to travel 66 by yourself during the week. Meg Lawless Crossett Long & Foster
Centreville is a very popular area for home buyers due to the convenience of commuter routes AND the popularity of the public schools in the area.

Townhomes for sale 10 years old or less are offered for $295,000 to $599,900. The average list price is $404,000.

Take your time and tour lots in your price range. There is even a foreclosure for sale with a garage. It's a good time to look because the inventory is very high and buyers can be selective.
Web Reference: http://www.homefinders.com
It's a great area! It's afordable and it is still in Fairfax County. I live there and it's great. Being right off of Rt. 66 and near Fairfax County Parkway makes it an ideal location for getting around Northern Virginia. And here is the best part, if you are a buyer, there are currently 359 townhomes for sale in Centreville making it an awesome time to buy. The market is geting better though so don't wait too long.......feel free to check out all the homes for sale in Centreville at http://www.huntersellshomes.com
I don't know what the last response was referring to??? I live and work off of Rt. 29 near the 66 interestion in Centreville and it's a great place to live! Great community, great location, and great homes at great prices! I'm happy to help you with your search if you'd like. Just email me at paul@huntersellshomes.com
It's a great time to be buying!
Yeah "good" if you think traffic, construction, dump trucks, for sale signs, driving to work at 5mph, and waiting 7 light cycles is "good". Rent in Arlington instead of buying in Centreville.
To access crime and School information got to my home buyers website and click on community information. It will give detailed information on all of your questions
It is a great area if you are looking for convience, excessablity and value. Centreville has alot to offer like job growth and developement, fairfax county school district, convient location and alot of ammenities. I hope this gives you a little insight. If you would like information on a particular neighborhood/area go to my Home Buyers website at http://www.NVAHomes4sale.com . Please feel free to respond to my answer or ask another questions I would be glad to answer any questions you may have.
Hi Prashanth,
I live in Manorgate, which is in 20121 across the street from Centreville Elementary. It is the best neighborhood in Centreville with a pool, tennis courts and a club house with organized events for adults and children. I am an avid runner and have never had a problem, day or night. I also use New Braddock Road to get to downtown Fairfax, which is only 8 miles and 20 minutes away, instead of dealing with 66. You definitely get more for your money in Centreville! If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at (703)408-3266 anytime.
I was just in the area today showing housing to first time buyers. Depending on your price range and other factors will determine whether it is a "good" area for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 29, 2007
I live and work in Centreville and it's a great area! To best answer your question though, I'd need to ask you a few other questions about your current situation. Feel free to contact me at paul@huntersellshomes.com
By 'good'.. I want to know if
a) It is a safe area - No crime
b) The school district is good
It depends on what you mean by "good" - could you be more specific about what you're looking for?