Nurseroslyn, Other/Just Looking in North Carolina

is this saying that my board members cannot get paid for compensation work?Compensation. No Director or Officer shall for reason of his/her office be

Asked by Nurseroslyn, North Carolina Sat Aug 20, 2011

entitled to receive any salary or compensation, but nothing herein shall be construed to prevent an officer or director from receiving any compensation from the organization for duties other than as a director or officer.

Answers

4
Roslyn, the Board certainly can hire a director or officer to perform tasks OTHER than serving as a director or officer of the Board. So, you can hire a director or officer to attend or supervise or monitor workshops. However, the Board is at risk of demonstrating that the compensation is reasonable for the duties hired, and that the duties were within the scope of the Board's normal activities.

As a Director of an HOA, I would be willing to defend hiring a Board member to sweep the entry three times a week at say, $30 a week; I would not be willing to defend hiring a Board member to publish a newsletter for $100,000 a year.

If I was a Lawyer, I could answer that question.

Unfortunately, I am not a lawyer.
woring as a employee in the organization such as at work shops,in vocational class room as to manage or supervise etc.
What kind of work did you have in mind?