General Area in Albuquerque>Question Details

Johnny, Home Buyer in Portland, OR

is relocating to Albuquerque a good choice?

Asked by Johnny, Portland, OR Mon May 5, 2008

I live in Portland OR now and I do like the area a lot, the prices of houses are going way up and the traffic is getting very bad (and I lived in LA CA, so I know what I'm talking about lol). The job market is very poor here too, my partner is getting his teaching certification. I was thinking 3-4 years down the line relocating to Albuquerque would be a good choice because the weather is mild and it doesn't get too hot. I don't mind the high desert but I lived in Palm Springs CA for a few years when I was young and do not like those summers way too hott. The houses look very affordable, we could afford a house of around the $200,000 mark and are looking for 2-3 bedroom house (3rd bedroom or office area is for music studio. Also my partner is a musician do they have a pretty cool music scene out there too. Being he'll be a high school teacher are the schools good, or can some be rough (again lived in LA for awhile so gotta ask lol ) Thank you for any inside advice ;)

Answers

9
Would you like a Relocation Package to learn more about our area? Everything you've mentioned is true including our still-reasonable and still-appreciating real estate environment. I have a feeling I'll be saying "Welcome to New Mexico" in less than a few years! WELCOME!

BARB
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 15, 2008
We moved here from the Bay Area in California about 4 years ago. We have absolutely loved it! We also looked at Portland by visiting, drivng around, etc. before deciding on ABQ. I feel we made a good choice. Your money goes further in ABQ than it does in Portland. As for Palm Springs, which I have also visited, I think the the climate in ABQ is a bit milder, as our high in the summer usually doesn't break 100F. How is that, you say? Well, the summer monsoon season brings afternoon clouds and rain that cools everything off. That's why my family usually eats outside on the patio just about every night during the late spring, summer and fall. Winters are comparable to Portland as well, just a little snow here and there, but usually doesn't stay long. If you need a mortgage broker here in town, call Mace at 505-897-4900. Talk to Janice and she'll put you through to Mace. I've known him since 4th grade and can attest to his good nature, honesty, and thoroughness. And he attends every closing. Good luck in making the move!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 6, 2008
A few more thoughts: 300+ days of sunshine, a large University, an exploding film industry, 16th greenest city, 3rd fittest city (more at abq.org/media.html#rankings)... need I say more? Regarding housing, it is still one of the most affordable cities in the southwest; however, this can vary by area of town, so you do will want a local expert to help you find the best place for you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 5, 2008
Albuquerque is one of the top places for the creative class (Rise of the Creative Class), the housing market is holding its own, the economy is strong, thanks to economic development http://(www.abq.org), and yes, you can NOT beat our weather - 4 seasons but none are extreme! I would be happy to answer any questions about our fine city! Best of luck to you!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 5, 2008
Sir (Dude), your situation has Albuquerque written all over it; end of story. Give me a call sometime if you want to brainstorm your next move.
I would encourage you to visit the area. I've lived in ABQ since 1990 and have seen the city blossom over the years. At that time I moved here from Los Angeles and was pleased to be able to buy a house. Way back then a shack in LA was way out of reach. We have lots of inventory around $200,000 for a 2/3 bedroom home. Of course condition and age of the homes will vary and parts of town demand different prices. Just like Portland, the closer the home is to desirable things such as dining, entertainment and natural beauty--the higher the price.

Warning--coming from Portland you may want to invest in some good sunglasses before heading this way! We do have lots of sunshine.
Hi Johnny
Homes are cheap in Albuquerque- The city and people are very artsy and laid back- I believe that you and your partner will enjoy it very much here
For your situation it would be hard to find a better place than Albuquerque! Great Schools, social scene is tailored to the creative and active and a real estate market that doesn't exprience the drastic fluctuations the rest of the country did. Add to that the area has desert and snow? It has something for everyone.
You may want also want to check out the economic climate in New Mexico. While several areas may be losing jobs, New Mexico continues to have a healthy business climate. (See link below for news about the NM economy.) Schott Solar industry, and Fidelity Investments are only two of several companies who earlier this year, announced their intention to move to Albuquerque. Also, because Albuquerque is a green city, it not only attracts people who are interested in enjoying the great quality of life the city offers but also those interested in helping to preserve it. Tesla Motors moved here to manufacture hybrid cars. Also here are Advent Solar and Albuquerque Studios already operating on the Mesa del Sol master-planned development campus.
Eloise Gift, 363-5156, Keller Williams Realty, Albuquerque, NM, http://www.eloisegift.com