General Area in Locust Point>Question Details

Dj, Home Buyer in Locust Point, Baltim...

is locust point or canton better?

Asked by Dj, Locust Point, Baltimore, MD Wed Jan 5, 2011

It sounds like you might have a tough, but exciting choice. Both neighborhoods are sought-after and my clients have preferred one or both for different reasons. I have clients who commute to Bel Air and Aberdeen, for example, who have preferred Canton because they avoid the Harbor Tunnel and tolls. Others have preferred Locust Point because they commute to BWI corridor, Columbia, and points south of the Tunnel. This is just one reason for choosing one over the other. By far, clients have preferred one or the other neighborhood due to seemingly dynamic differences in the neighborhoods themselves. Canton, for example, has The Square and Patterson Park among it's popular attributes, while Locust Point has Latrobe Park, Fort McHenry, and the new Harris Teeter Shopping Center and Shops expected to be completed later this year (if no further delays occur). Federal Hill is also a short distance from Locust Point. Both are close to the harbor too. These are, of course, only examples of reasons to choose one neighborhood, and there are so many other factors to consider. Doing some research online and get into each neighborhood to explore which one is the right fit for you. I encourage my clients to spend time running essential errands in neighborhoods. Walk around, go grocery shopping, find a dry-cleaner, eat and drink in the local restaurants,, and you may well make your decision easier that way. I would be happy to provide any helpful information for you. Please feel free to contact me and good luck - this journey should be fun and pleasant for you, which ever one you end up choosing!
Both neighborhoods are great- it all depends on your personal preferences and what you are able to pay. Your best bet is to sit down with a local Realtor that you trust and go over your options and start your home search. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me. Remember, it's your life, your style, your home!
Jillian Lennox
Style House Realty
Locust Point and Canton are totally different kinds of neighborhoods with totally different kinds of homes and totally different ammenities. Which one is best really depends on what you are looking for in a neighborhood and what kinds of people you want to live near. It also depends on what prices you are qualified to pay for your new home. I would be happy to sit down with you to discuss your housing needs and what you are looking for in a community and also discuss with you both neighborhoods at length. I would also be happy to help you select some homes to look at to determine which neighborhood you like best for your needs.
It depends on what you feel is better for you. Are you looking for things close by? Proximity to highways? Public transportation?
Locust Point may be better for some people, while Canton may be for others -- it all depends on what will make you happy. I can tell you that I know people who would argue on both sides very strongly as to which is "better" -- because they made that choice to live there!
We, as REALTORS(R), cannot comment on what is "better" -- the good news is that fair housing laws prevent you from being affected by our opinions. What we can do is help you to determine for yourself what might be better for you based on your wants & needs.
If you'd like more details on homes & prices, please let me know. That could help determine which location may be better for you too!
Marney Kirk
Keller Williams Excellence Realty
Hi DJ,

Well...that depends on what it is you are looking for. If you've narrowed it down to just those two areas then you are in great shape. Now you can have your agent do some homework for you to show you property values in both areas over the past few years. Who is holding value better? And you can spend some time in both areas at different times of the day and week to see which seems to better fit your lifestyle. I have heard great things about both areas but before you invest your hard earned money you are wise to do your homework.

It is hard for a Realtor to answer that question without having a full understanding of what you looking for in a home, environment, and overall lifestyle. I would recommend speaking with a local agent, who has actually lived in these neighborhoods. They tend to know more about the parking situation, construction/maintenance of the homes in these neighborhoods, local development which could affect the home you intend to purchase, etc.

If I can help you in way, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Jim Gunsiorowski (Locust Point resident)
Prudential Carruthers Realtors - Federal Hill
Hi DJ,

As much as I want to answer your question, I need to know what do you mean by what is better? What are you looking for in each neighborhood? If you are looking to see what is safer, check out and As for hanging out in the local area, go to and

Let me know if I can help you.
A Realtor is not allowed to answer this question.

But are you looking from a development potential standpoint or just current state of things?...

There are neighborhood data sites you can look into for crime stats, schools etc... and is a nice resource that might help you compare qualities important to you and buyer incentives

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.....
Dear DJ,
Better is relative. Agents aren't able to comment on areas. A great tool is to talk to local residents. Google the areas, call the police department for crime reports and you can visit

Ariana Loucas
Keller Williams