General Area in 10954>Question Details

jacksull3368, Home Buyer in Nanuet, NY

is it legal to have or sell a home with asbestos siding, and does it have to be removed in order to sell the house?

Asked by jacksull3368, Nanuet, NY Thu Aug 23, 2012

Answers

4
Jack, The siding you are referring to is a composite and does not have to be removed. Any damaged areas could become friable but this can be easily remedied. For any further info, contact me anytime....914-419-8442.

As far as your question pertaining to price per square foot. It ranges from $130 to $240..average around $200.... but there are many factors that determine this. Style of home, Condition, lot size are just a few. Again, call me anytime and I'll be happy to persue this in more detail. Best to you...John
Many homes here with asbestos siding(ususally 3 sides). It can be abated or in most cases, insulation is put over the asbestos & vinyl siding over that. Completely legal for use back in the day(60-70's).
Asbestos in itself is not always a problem. It is when it becomes friable that it is a problem. If left alone it can be just fine. When you start disturbing it then it becomes a problem and must be disposed of in special ways. Buying a house with asbestos siding, which was popular in the 50's, is legal but someday it may become expensive if you need to tear it off or tear down the house. It certainly needs to be disclosed.
Doesn't need to be removed, but you have to let the buyer know of the problem which might cause a problem with some mortgages.