General Area in Martinez>Question Details

dinkeldorf66…, Renter in Martinez, CA

i am on disability and am now looking for low income housing or section 8 how do i go about getting in with these programs?

Asked by dinkeldorf6669, Martinez, CA Sun Aug 19, 2012

Answers

1
Depending on where you would like to live, you'll need to see if that county/ city has a HUD approved housing authority. I work a lot with the Oakland Housing Authority which is the local organization in the city of Oakland that disperses HUD funds through their section 8 program. In Oakland there are about 14,000 vouchers available to assist precipitants with housing costs. On average it take up to five years on the waiting list before someone is approved. Applicants are granted a voucher based on a lottery system, not on the basis of need, unfortunately.

I think I read somewhere that the city of Pittsburg or Antioch has something on the order of 1,800 vouchers active at any one time. Voucher turn over is very rare, as you can imagine. Good luck with your search.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 20, 2012