General Area in 94587>Question Details

John G., Home Buyer in 94587

how is west side of union city area (delaine eastin ele.) vs. historical neighbourhoods in fremont (brookvale, ard.,niles etc.)..

Asked by John G., 94587 Sat Jan 22, 2011

I am finding more younger and better houses in union city as compared to fremont and am tempted to buy there. i know middle and high school are not that great but i just have an infant right now so care only about elementary school. commute wise both fremont and union city suits

Answers

4
Kamal Randhawa’s answer
John,

Having a teenage son of my own, a good school was my greatest concern when I purchased when he was born...I found a great elementary school with the highest API scores but having spent K - 6 through at this elementary school, we have become a part of this community. Just the mention of moving sends shivers down my sons back. He will have to leave everything he has known and start all over. I think if your only concern is schools, buy in the area where they have the best schools K - 12, trust me it will be the best decision you make. I 'm telling you from experience.
If you are planning on moving when the kids are ready for middle school, you'll have to uproot all the relations you and your family will have built there in the next 5-10 years. I think it's better to choose a location where you can switch houses but stay with the same schools.
Web Reference: http://www.sunilsethi.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 22, 2011
John:

A high percentage of people buy and sell again within 5 years. If you are concerned about middle and high schools, you have well over 5 years to wait. If I were you, at this point I’d focus more on the home and community that you like and buy a home you love to live in. Who knows – with all the work being done to raise school scores in Union City, the middle and High School scores might be acceptable by the time it matters.
.
John G.

You have indicated conflicting desires.

On one hand, you want “younger and better houses”.

On the other hand, you want quality schools for the future education of your infant.

Which is more important to you?

If you can afford the area of better schools, that would be a wise choice. School quality drives real estate values. If you want the area with the newer house, it will be older when you are ready to sell in order to move to a different, better, public school area. It is likely that any increase in future real estate values will make the higher-priced homes in the quality school areas even pricier.
Life is full of compromises. You can either compromise on the house to get a better school area or compromise on the school area in order to get what you consider to be a better house. Which is your choice?
Of course, we wish it was just that simple. There are lots of houses in the quality school areas that are also very nice houses. That will further increase their price. So, the determination of where you will buy is also a price decision. Can you afford the best school area? If so, that is where I would buy.