General Area in 85014>Question Details

Michael John…, Both Buyer and Seller in 85018

how do I decide if a neighborhood is decent?

Asked by Michael Johnson, 85018 Thu Jul 2, 2009

We found a property in phoenix (85014) which looks nice. However, the neighborhood seems a little "patchy" with rough areas here and there. I understand it can be common for Phoenix, but Im unsure if it is something to be concerned about this time. Are there any sites or stats that could indicate if the neighborhood is good or not? Thank you

Answers

8
I've lived in that zip for 10+ years. If anyone else needs info on areas within this zip.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 28, 2010
Hi, You can go to http://www.HomeFair.com and http://www.spotcrime.com for in-depth crime stats and area demographics.

Chris
thanks to trulia you are off to a great start,
1st I'd stop by the local police dept and ask a few questions
2nd Id do a few drive by and ask questions to the people out maybe walking kids or dogs.
I'd stop by the school to see ranking and get test results ( may be able to get good info from google)
go directly to the school & town website

Enjoy your search...

you tube Amy Pfister 80
twitter amypfister80
Pfister's Phinest Properties...
Web Reference: http://www.amypfister.com
The area has some of the best selection of locally owned restaurants/bars. There are places nearby to hike (Piestewa Peak) Close to Biltmore Fashion Park which is surrounded by Multi-Million dollar homes. The closer within the area you can get to Maryland St or 24th St and Camelback the better. (I believe thats getting you into the 85016 area code then) The range of homes goes from $60,000 to 3,000,000 depending on what you can afford. I would say the population is mostly anglo people and the schools are ok. The kids are pretty rough at high schools like Camelback. But some of the best Montessouri schools are around this area if you have smaller children. Make sure to check the sex offender registry for the area. It's not the best in Phx but still my favorite. You should post your price range too because there is a huge spectrum within the area of high end houses to low end homes/apts.
Before you decide to buy walk around the neighborhood. Try talking to the people who re around. You can get a feel for the people there that way.
sorry I read the zip wrong...
Michael,
There are a couple of ways I suggest a buyer "test a neighborhood".
1. If you are worried about crime call the local police dept. in Prescott Valley that is 928- 772-9261 give them an address and ask about the call traffic for the neighborhood.
2. you should visit the neighborhood during peak traffic times (5-6pm)
3. Talk to your Buyer's agent and give them some criteria of what is important to you. There are certain things we can't tell you based on Equal Housing rules but other items can be discussed and if possible your agent might know a homeowner in the area you can speak with.
Happy Hunting,
Brad Bergamini
the Bergamini Group
Web Reference: http://bradbergamini.com
Hi Michael,

Jay makes good points, you should also go visit the neighborhood several times throughout the day especially the evening and nights... that gives you a good idea of what goes on there. I always tell my clients to go sit in front of the house for about 15 minutes in the evening with your windows down a little so you can hear the noise level in the area. Ultimately though it comes down to what you consider important for you and your family.