General Area in Asheville>Question Details

Kris, Home Buyer in Asheville, NC

historic neighborhoods for families?

Asked by Kris, Asheville, NC Tue Aug 3, 2010

looking at moving from DC area to asheville with family (two kids, 6 and 8). would love to live in a historic area close to the city. are there any places like that? are the schools ok?

Answers

4
Some of the items to consider when searching within a historic area are: Price, how much work you want to do to the home, schools, proximity to amenities, size, yard size and so forth. Typically the historic homes closest to downtown Asheville have smaller lots and may be smaller in size. The average price for homes in Kenilworth and Montford are going to be lower than in North Asheville, Biltmore Forest, and Grove Park. It all depends on your budget and other needs. The best place to research schools is this website: http://www.ncreportcards.org Look up Buncombe County schools.

M.E. Gray
Beverly-Hanks & Associates
828 231 9441
Hello Kris,
I would agree that Montford and the Grove Park are are two of the historic neighborhoods in our area. The public schools in the city are Magnet programs so you have 5 to choose from whether they are near your home or not. I have a 5 year old that started Kindergarten this year. I went and visited the schools and would be happy to give you a tour when you are in town. Thanks again for asking the question!
Shanda Boettcher
828.242.7777
shanda@hbgrouprealty.com
The first answer to your question hit the nail on the head. Montford, Grove Park, Biltmore Forest and Kenilworth are all wonderful neighborhoods for families. I always suggest checking out the schools because everyone has different needs for their children.
We don't have anything to compare with Georgetown or Old Town. Two that might meet what you are looking for are Montford, which was developed around the turn of the century, and Kenilworth, which was developed more in the 1920s. Grove Park and Biltmore Forest are also good areas to raise kids. Asheville is known for its Craftsman and Art Deco architecture.

My children, who are now 22 and 24 were educated in the city schools. They were both well prepared to go to good colleges.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. Please check out my profile at the trulia or beverly-hanks site.

Cheryl MacPhail
828-337-2139
cmacphail@beverly-hanks.com