LoveTheSun, Other/Just Looking in Los Angeles, CA

do you recommend the hollywood area for a first time home buyer?

Asked by LoveTheSun, Los Angeles, CA Fri Jul 13, 2007

i went to high school in LA and all i really heard about hollywood area was that a large gay audience lived there (and i have no issues w/ gays by the way). a lot of my friends moved to hollywood after graduating from college. as far as i know they are straight. so, for the non-gays OR gays too, what's the attraction? do you think it is a good location for a first time home buyer?

Answers

9
Dear LoveTheSun,

Hollywood is very large. There's a West Hollywood (which is the area that you are referring to) that borders Beverly Hills and Hollywood Hills. The homes and condos are pretty pricey there. So... if you have a minimum of $500,000, you might be able to find a starter condo. The attraction there is lots of trendy shops and restaurants. You are close to Sunset strip which also has a lot of entertainment venues.
This area is usuall West of Cresent Heights, between Hollywood Blvd. and Santa Monica.

Hollywood, East of Crescent Heights, is a little less expensive. The community changes dramatically the further east you head - towards Western, etc.

Overall, there's a lot of traffic and it's quite fast paced. Depending on your age,activities and budget, it might work well for you.

Irina
Every place is good for first home buyers, it simply depends of what you are looking for in your first house. Guay or not (this is a misleading information i believe, i heard that many time but i don't see lots of same sex couple running around town) you will definately love the vibe and the proximity to everything you dream of, or simply the comfort of being in a house you can finally call home. Give me a call so we can discuss other questions you have. Ill make sure to provide you with the options available. 626-290-1508 or alexandra@carealtygroup.com
I LOVE SUN TOO!
Hollywood is a great place to buy, particularly West Hollywood. It's really central to everything, you can get to downtown easily, to the valley, or the westside and beaches. Ther are a ton of really great restuarants, nice shopping, and many things to do. West Hollywood is a great community, quite safe, and the there is a lot of pride of ownership. Many buildings and properties have being redone which is great news for overall property values for everyone! If it makes sense for your work commute...I think Hollywood is a really great place to live and invest!

Julie Kryukova
310.402.8181
jkryukova@gmail.com
http://www.larealproperties.com
I would say yes. Engel & Voelkers Hollywood Hills can help you decide which areas you would like to be in. If your needs are more towards amenities, then Santa Monica Blvd will be a starting point. If you are keen on views, the Hollywood Hills would be another place to start. Then depending on your budget, we can narrow down to 90046 or 90069 and from there you go to specifics like interiors. Give us a buzz or email and we can help you out. Cheers, Engel & Voelkers Hollywood Hills
I honestly think that Hollywood is a great place to live for a first-time home buyer. There is so much development going on and investing despite the declining market. It has been a work-in-progress and certainly anyone who knows the area has seen dramatic changes as recently as the past two years. There is some great recent and older news development stories located here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=318622.
If you are buying today to call a home a home, and give the market time to rebound, I can't help but think that your investment now will be worth more come the time all this development is completed.
I like what one pro said below about get your jobs first, if you have not done so already, then search location. Hollywood is good, but remember, we are big commuters here in Southern California and depending where you locate there are plenty of great areas with nice low prices, where first time home buyers can and will make money. Plus, if you are handy and want to improve the home yourself, then that is an opportunity too. What you can get a condo for in Hollywood, the same can be done, say for example, in the Santa Clarita Valley, heck with prices low you can buy a house around 400k. Remember too there are first time buyer lending programs available, but FHA is back!

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance, I service Antelope Valley (still declining market, but if you want to live like a king for la lot ess money this would be the choice, good medical and aircraft/aerospace jobs, upper desert), Santa Clarita Valley (very desirable area, lot of LA commuters, great access to freeways, excellent sought out schools, straight shoot on Hwy 126 to the beach!), San Fernando Valley (less commute if working in LA area, lots of job possibilities, city life, smog etc.) and Venura County (great areas, less property tax, closer to the beach so it is cooler). I know large territory...born and raised in one, office in another, live in one of the other areas. I love working with first time buyers, their excitement fires me up! Put your running shoes on and let's get in the game!
Web Reference: http://www.TVandemark.com
In my opinion, Hollywood is an excellent area for first-time home-buyers where there is an excellent choice of condos ranging from the late $300,000's to over $1.5 Million.
There is lots of new construction and refurbishment going on which can only enhance property values in the medium to long term.

West Hollywood (an incorporated City) is well known as being a "gay village" and is an exciting and vibrant city to live in. It is generally more expensive than Hollywood with a great choice of condo buildings as well as single family homes.
Here's the deal...

Hollywood is split into 2 parts, West Hollywood (Incorporated) and Hollywood

True Hollywood is bordered by these streets: Mulholand Dr (N) Western Ave (E) Santa Monica (S) La Brea (W). West Hollywood (ignoring the border of incorporation) Sunset (N) La Brea (E) Melrose (S) La Cienega or Doheny (W).

Hollywood is in a rapid stage of flux. West Hollywood is getting tired and looking very 80's. I think you can find deals in Hollywood, Condo's will be dropping in price quite a bit. (A lot of overbuilding going on). There are also a lot of virtual tear-down bungalows around in the SE of Hollywood, if you can beat developers to the punch and fix it up you will have yourself quite a deal.

West Hollywood? Forgetaboutit. Sellers there still in the mass grip of 2006 delusion.

As for the gay issue... It's hard to generalize... but here goes. The main concentration of gay commerce is on Santa Monica - La Brea to Doheny. So unless you're gay you have the rest of the city to play in. Having said that... some of the BEST neighbors I've had were gay. They REALLY take care of their properties and most are really welcoming. If you're a messy guy (like me) you may run afoul from time to time.

One thing to remember is... the traffic in Los Angeles is a freakin' nightmare so mby get a rental until you find out where you're going to work. Then get something close. You can always drive into Hollywood to rave!
Yes, I do. There are still some undervalued homes in parts of Hollywood. I also recommend Culver City, which is an established neighborhood with good values. West Hollywood is more expensive, and homes do not sell usually for less than $800,000.