General Area in Bay Shore>Question Details

Yahti, Renter in Bay Shore, NY

do i have to move if the landlords haven't notified me?

Asked by Yahti, Bay Shore, NY Thu Mar 15, 2012

the house i have been living in for the last four years is owned by my aunts and uncles, they bought ot when my grandfather died. Now with out notice or even a direct approach noone has come to tell me to move. I pretty much herd about it from other people. So it was suppose to be a surprise that they were going to put me out on the street. I want to know if they can do that if my father is on the deed to this house.,and what can i do?

Help the community by answering this question:


If you are a have legal rights, even without a lease. You cannot be evicted without due process and your property cannot be "put out to curb". Please note this is in no way legal advise. As other agents advised here.....consult a real estate attorney well verse in these situations.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 16, 2012
i have lived here for four years i paid my rent one time every year @ tax time i paid for the whole year to avoid month to month. i would like to talk to a lawyer now do you know of any that deal with this?
Flag Sun Mar 18, 2012
Unclear as to who the actual owner is--don't simply rely on what others may be saying, have you considered a firsthand discussion with your landlord(s); is there a lease involved, are you paying rent, etc.; without much information, you may wish to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate, and see what options you may have.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 15, 2012
I will now i wanted tobe sure before i went to a lawyer first. i thought it might be a stupid question
Flag Sun Mar 18, 2012
Who owns the house? Is it your aunts and uncles? Or is your father on the deed?

Do you have a lease? Under what conditions are you living there? Do you pay rent?

I'm not a lawyer, so this isn't legal advice. For that, you need a lawyer. However . . .

If you were a regular tenant, you'd likely be on a month-to-month arrangement. That is, either party could give the other 30 days' written notice. That's why I was asking the questions about whether there's a lease or other written agreement.

If you're living in the home as a guest of your relatives, you may not have any protection at all.

However, what you've gotten is hearsay. Are you even certain that all the owners have agreed to "put you out on the street"?

If your father's on the deed, speak to him. If he isn't, speak to one of your other relatives to get the complete story. Your local town or county is likely to have some consumer or tenant advice service. That'd be your next stop.

Hope that helps.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 15, 2012
when my grandfather died all of their children bought and put the house in their names so that my grandmother wouldn't have to worry about her home. My fathers name was on the deed along with everyone else's name. My father died in 1999. its a long story but i believe a piece of this house is owed to me and my sister
Flag Sun Mar 18, 2012
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer