General Area in 78254>Question Details

Lapantera220…, Renter in San Antonio, TX

confused about zoning of schools....i am still faily new to the area. i live in the silver oaks area and my kids go to scarborough elementary but now

Asked by Lapantera22000, San Antonio, TX Sat Oct 13, 2012

but now they are planning a new zone bondary for the silver oaks area and moving kids to the new school being built for next year down galm rd.....are elementary schools being built for each subdivision??? this does not help with the prospect of buying a home close enough to the current school we atten......any info would be helpful

Dear Lapantera2200,

I understand how disheartening it is for your children. They finally are familiar with their surrounding and built new friendships, only to be separated again and have to start over, particularly at a younger age.

Some time it is hard to predict as to how fast an area will grow, since that hinges on many factors, some foreseeable, some not so much. When you purchase a home in a newly built area, that is still growing, you have to be prepared for rezoning. The good news is, new schools almost always get good ratings. Then, it is up to you and your child if it stays that way. Most elementary schools in the North Side School District rate well or even excellent. What would be more important are the Middle Schools and High Schools. The good ratings are more rare there. Therefore, when you purchase a home, new or pre-owned, make sure it is located in a an area zoned for a great High School. These are also less frequently rezoned.

I always advise my clients to contact the school district and confirm before the purchase, which schools the home, they are interested in, is zoned for in the coming school year and if that would change in the near future. That is another reason why it is so important to employ a knowledgeable Realtor, weather you want to buy a pre-owned or new home. There are so many factors to consider, that most people do not think about.

I would contact the school district. Sometimes they make an exception and let your child stay at the school they are used to, particularly, if they are juniors.

Claudia McShane
Joyce Klein Realtors
(210) 744-4502
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
I feel your pain. San Antonio is adding approximately 150 people per day! many of them are children. The fastest growing quadrant in San Antonio is the NW. Northside ISD has done wonders to keep up with the growth, and that means new schools where the kids are.

This website will help you determine exactly where your kids are assigned:

It includes this language: "At the elementary school level, schools are organized into clusters. It is possible that space may not be available at the assigned campus. Please contact the individual schools for registration information. In the event space is not available, the student will receive transportation to a nearby, designated cluster campus. At middle and high schools, any campuses closed to enrollment (capped) will be indicated on the school assignment information pages (results of a search by address)."

This thoughtful article answers most of the questions about boundary changes:

Here are the exceptions to the rules: Exceptions when opening a new school:
Elementary School: The year a boundary change goes into
affect, incoming 5th grade students may remain at their former school, but the District does not provide transportation.
Middle School: The year a boundary change goes into affect, incoming 8th grade students may remain at their former school, but the District does not provide transportation.
High School: NISD opens new high schools without a senior class. The year a boundary change goes into affect, incoming 12th grade students remain at their former high school. The
District continues to provide transportation to eligible 12th grade students under District guidelines.

Exceptions for boundary changes between two existing schools:
Elementary School: same as above.
Middle School: same as above.
High School: Returning high school students and their concurrently enrolled siblings may continue at their former high school. The District will provide transportation to eligible students under District guideline for three years beginning with the first year of the boundary change.

Hope this helps.

Doc Stephens, REALTOR
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012
I just relocated to the same area and I do know that Jefferson Middle School will be in the new zone area for Folks Middle School but have been given the option to stay at Jefferson if the child is provided transportation. You might want to ask the school if they will allow your children to stay, as long as they are provided transportation. My 2 elementary children will also be attending the new school, Franklin Elementary as it is close to our home. It will be a big adjustment but once they make friends I am sure they will be fine.
As neighborhoods in San Antonio grow, schools need to be built to accommodate the new population. School districts are faced with the challenge of redefining boundaries, and some residents will ALWAYS be unhappy with the changes. They either want to be in the new school or in their old school.

This link might provide answers to some of your questions.

Best of luck! If you would like to talk about the options available, give me a call.

Kathy Walsh, Realtor®
Keller Williams Heritage
(210) 862-7721
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 14, 2012
Northside ISD is ever growing. They especially buil tons of elementary schools . This may be inconvenient but its better for your child in the long run. Have you checked the NISD website?

I'm extremely familiar with the NISD schools and school zones. Email me personally and I'd b happy to help.

Maegan Olguin
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 13, 2012