Question Details

Elizabeth Sm…, Other/Just Looking in Dinwiddie, VA

can a landlord store his things on my property?

Asked by Elizabeth Smith, Dinwiddie, VA Mon May 26, 2008

my land lord has been parking his truck and other farm eqp. in my yard without asking. now i'm afraid to let my kids play out doors because they could get hurt do to his belongings.

Answers

3
Review the rental agreement and then speak with the owner voicing your concerns.
Jed Lane; Fog…, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA
It depends. If there is specific wording on the rental contract allowing your landlord to store items on the property during your occupation, then he may be within his rights. As an example, I own a home on property with a large storage shed at the rear of the property. In my rental contract, it states that I have to right to store my belonging within the shed, and to access it at any time. My tenants signed the rental agreement with this knowledge, and it has not been an issue for either party.

I suggest that you review the contract to make sure both parties are sticing to the agreement. You may also want to speak nicely with your landlord to clarify what has been happening and find out if this will be an ongoing situation. If so, and there is nothing in the rental contract that address his use of the property while you live there, you may want to try and renegotiate the lease, or contact a real estate attorney for further advice. Best of luck!

-Daniel
No. He cannot, you own/rent the land and that makes it yours. That does not give himthe right to leave things on YOUR property. Let him know about this and if he argues call non-enmergency police.
My landlord stores just one very large item in a shed at a place I'm renting from him. He isn't taking advantage; it's okay with me. It is only one very large item that he cannot move or put anywhere else at the moment. He gives me a small break in rent for it, but I really don't mind. :) It sounds like pepperandzip had a different situation, where the landlord was taking complete advantage. NOT cool... and not legal unless it's in an agreement. Daniel is correct. ;)
Flag Thu Jan 31, 2013
Thanks Alex My landlord want to buield a cover in my front yard park and work on a boat then bring people over to try and sell it .I told him no this is my home .and my thoughts were like yours ,once you rent it becomes your property .
Flag Thu Nov 8, 2012