General Area in Jacksonville>Question Details

Lola Peterson, Other/Just Looking in Jacksonville, NC

average electric bills?

Asked by Lola Peterson, Jacksonville, NC Mon Jun 13, 2011

You may be able to go onto the local utilities website and find information to calculate the usage for a property you are interested in. Also, calling the utility they may be able to give you a monthly average for that property. Consider this when buying - if it's an older home you may improve the energy efficiencies by having more insulation added to the attic space as insulation settles over time. Also, sealing up around windows outlets etc. Then one of the more cost effective methods for window efficiency is by adding sun screens to your windows. Window replacement is very costly and in current market conditions will not recoup fast enough for you on resale.

good luck.
Much will depend on usage and property size; therefore consider asking the current owner(s) for an estimate of costs, or ask any neigbor(s) with a similar property, or contact the utility company and ask for an estimate...
I have a 4 bedroom 2 bath and ours is around $130 plus we pay water and sewer as well.
My electric bill last month was only $68 but it normally is about $95, the highest it has
ever been was $155 but I have a 45 foot long pool and a 3 bedroom home with bonus
room above garage and 2 baths with 1780 sq. feet. I'm trying to sell it now for $174,900.