General Area in 03079>Question Details

Dannyboy, Other/Just Looking in 03079

asking about the wetlands near the property I'm interested in

Asked by Dannyboy, 03079 Wed Feb 10, 2010

I'm interested in a home in salem new hampshire near wetlands, are there flooding problems or anything to do with wetlands ?

Answers

2
Hi Danny Boy- It depends.
Most official "wetlands" are not what you would think are wetlands. They are essentially nothing- but due to newer environmental regs we have to call them wetlands. So, for many cases there are no true concerns like flooding.
However, if the wetlands are more significant and are part of a major river system in Salem or wherever, then potentially there could be true flooding issues.
Did you check the FEMA flood may (online- by address you can check) it the home is in a flood zone.

The bigger part about wetlands is the setbacks these days, which can be up to 100 feet now. No building, including pools etc within that setback limit. Each town has different rules; check with the town's conservation comm. or building dept.

If I can be of any other help, please let me know. Thanks,
Ken L.
Danny i would need to know the address so i can look it up for you. Your best bet is to ask teh listing agent. you may also want to pull up the plot plan and tax map at Salem Townhall. Then you will want to ask them at townhall to see the flood map and they can show you what area's are considered in teh 100 year flood plain. You shoudl have a buyers agent who can assist you with this. Please feel free to email me at sctprop@aol.com if you need assistance. good luck with your search.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com