General Area in 33417>Question Details

Sallystargell, Other/Just Looking in West Palm Beach, FL

as mentioned I own in a 55 community, he will sign a under 55 waver,the board is giving me grief,20/80 rule

Asked by Sallystargell, West Palm Beach, FL Sat Feb 28, 2009

or at least trying to. One couple inherated there condo, do not come often, about 2x's a year they are under 55, what is really the law when things happen? I moved here when I was under 55 and my x was 55 and left last year. Now I am 55, what would be my recourse if they deny him moving in?

Answers

2
I really can't imagine that you will have a problem. It just doesn't seem plausbile that your association would give you grief. It would mean then that every "married' couple buying there would require each spouse to be over the age of 55 which wasn't the case when you purchased.

It's best not to stress over this until you speak to your association. And, show them proof of your age.
As for children legally inheriting a condo from their parents that, too, is mentioned in the condo docs. And, the condo docs I've seen reference this as stating they have the right to own the unit.
I am not sure this will help - I have attached a link for the Florida Commission on Human Relations which deals with fair housing. 55+ communities are registered and do not have to comply. You can check to see if you community is truly a registered 55+ and check the facts to see if you have any recourse regarding the situation. It is a tricky thing. I hope this helps.