General Area in Palmdale>Question Details

Sskikos, Home Buyer in Culver City, CA

are there any problems with coyotes, mountain lions, racoons, rats, etc in Palmdale?

Asked by Sskikos, Culver City, CA Wed Mar 14, 2012

I'm concerned with how close Palmdale is to much uninhabited land. Does it have any problems with wildlife because of this? Also, any problems with bugs?

Answers

5
I live in Lancaster, CA (in Quartz Hill area). I just saw a big raccoon in my yard. Apparently, it is responsible for beating up the stray cats I've been feeding. It has taken up residence among a pile of logs in my yard.
It is december 13, 2012. Coming home tonight I saw two, maybe three racoons in a gutter. They were on Desert Flower drive and ran into the gutter as my car approached. They were peeking out which was cute, but I'm very nervous about seeing them and will call animal control tomorrow morning!!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 14, 2012
I like to keep a very small pond with feeder fish and water hyacinths and water lillies in my back yard. When I lived in Northridge something kept raiding it and eating both the fish AND the plants. I was pretty sure it was raccoons but could never catch them at it. Before I moved out here to Palmdale I was told by several people there were NO raccoons in Palmdale. Well, my fish and plants were eaten out of my small fish pond last night and I have raccoons tracks in my house!!!
Been here for 8 years and have not seen any of the above.

I've lived in the Antelope Valley for 14 years - here is some info:

Coyotes - you will see them periodically in the desert areas, but they stay away from inhabited areas for the most part

Mountain Lions & Racoons - I'm not aware of any local sightings of these types of animals

Rats - Mice -- whenever we have new building the local area does tend to see an increase in field mice - rats not so much.

Bears - we don't get those, but on the morning news today KTLA.com there was a bear in the neighborhood of La Crescenta, which will occur in the Acton, Leona Valley and other mountain areas.

We are a great community - rural without the animal issues. As to bugs, we have the normal mosquitoes and flies, but not much else. If you are looking to rent or buy in Palmdale, I'll be happy to help you with your search.

Tamara Stoebe, REALTOR, GRI, e-PRO, CHS, QSC
DRE License #01827461
Prudential Troth REALTORS
1801 W. Ave. K
Lancaster, CA 93534
Cell: (661) 466-6849
Fax: (661) 422-3006
E-mail: Tamara@TamaraStoebe.com
Website: http://www.TamaraStoebe.com