Francis, Home Owner in Greater Fondren Sout...

adding names to house title in Harris county Texas ( not through sale) to buy insurance. I need form to do it myself- not found in internet. help!

Asked by Francis, Greater Fondren Southwest, Houston, TX Fri Feb 24, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:



Please find attached the form at the HCAD to do this yourself. You will need to attach evidence- copy of the deed or a closing statement, but this will get it done..

If you liked my answer, give me a "Thumbs up" and I appreciate the Best Answer as a reward!


Chris Schilling
Real Estate Broker
Turbo Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 25, 2012
It can be financially disastrous to add the wrong person to the deed of a home. It may not be necessary and I suggest contacting an real estate attorney before you move forward. Tell them what you want to accomplish and ask if there are other ways to do it without adding additional owners to the home.

The consequences of doing this wrong included not being able to sell or even refinance without the express written permission of the other owner. Make sure it's done right.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 25, 2012

You can go to, under forms select the appropriate form for adding a name, fill it out and mail it with a copy of the deed. You can also drop off the form at the Harris appraisal district if you don't want to mail it. It can take up to 30 days for the change to take place.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 9, 2015
I need to add my wife to get the 65 and over tax exemption, how do I do that
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 5, 2014
If you are on the deed OR you have received this property by devise, you will be able to fill our a name change form and file it with Harris County Appraisal District. If your name is on the "recorded" deed, attach a copy of the recorded deed to the name change form.

If you have inherited the property and the will has been probated, it is easier to hand carry that probated will into Harris County Appraisal District's office to finalize the addition of your name. They will be able to see the probated will on the County records.

I am assuming you are referring to homeowners insurance. Homeowners insurance is available to owners at a better annual rate than non-homeowners insurance.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Feb 25, 2012
Yes, read your title policy for contact info and follow their suggestion as to process involved.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 24, 2012
Call the title company that you originally closed with. They should be able to help.

Vanessa Castillo, Realtor, TAHS
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 24, 2012
As far as where to get forms to add a name to title, Staples or Office Depot should have them.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 24, 2012
I am not sure why you would need to add someone to the house title for insurance purposes. Best to contact an attorney who can advise you. A title company attorney may not be as expensive??

Best of luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 24, 2012
I suggest you talk with a real estate attorney or with a title company to get the records on the property as you want them. Adding a name should be fairly simply, but there will be a fee for the service. Also be aware there could be tax ramifications for the property owners.

Check it out carefully!

Wishing you success,
Nancy Suarez
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 24, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer