General Area in Keller>Question Details

kris, Home Buyer in Keller, TX

1 master BR vs 2 Master BR for resale value

Asked by kris, Keller, TX Sun Jun 8, 2008

The home plan I am considering has 5 bedroom. 1 Master BR on 1st level and remaining 4 on 2nd level. 2 of them are relatively small 10 x 13 each. I have an option to upgrade the 2 smaller bedrooms to combine and make a second master BR on level 2. (the upgrade cost is around $6,000).

What will be best for resale value?

5 BR home (1 master bedroom ) or
4 BR home (2 master bedrooms)?

Answers

7
Brian Copeland’s answer
A recent home builders report showed the the trend has moved toward having two owner-worthy rooms. The term has been one owner's suite/master bedroom plus one "flex room." The study showed that many couples deal with partner-sleeping-issues that create a need for equally desirable spaces for resale value. As long as your 4BR plan also has bonus space (for example, a study, media room, etc.) you'll be smart to go the double master route.
Kris,
One thing we don't know about is how many bathrooms, where they're located and if they are attached, etc.
As others have mentioned I think it depends on where the bedrooms and baths are located. Two bedrooms down with two full baths down seem to have good demand either for multi-generational families living in the same home, or parents wanting smaller children on the same floor. I'm also with the agent who asks why it would cost more to build, (unless you are adding a bathroom). If everything is the same, but you are just combining two rooms into one, it should be less. One less wall, one less door, etc and that should cost less. One less wall should not take any kind of architectural redesign. Anyway, good question and make sure you use a realtor during your purchase. Every day we get questions about how the builders screwed up this or that and how can they fix it now. It's always a good idea to take a realtor with you on every visit to the builder and especially the first time. If you haven't signed a contract yet, now is a good time to enlist help. For a whole list of common issues we have seen with builders see me website at http://www.teamlynn.com and click on the new home link. No need to go at this alone, have someone fighting for you in your corner at typically no cost to you.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 9, 2008
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Many families have their parents living with them I would think that 2 masters would be too your best interest. However if it's being built why are you paying $6K more? that makes no sense to me. I am assuming due to the bathroom?

If you are purchasing this thru a builder you need an agent that works on your behalf therefore you area also covered under your agent e & o insurance policy.

Have you also had your realtor do all the other required research prior to signing the sale contract? Determine what is your best interest. Allot of details need to be involved prior to doing this.

Contact my office if we can assist
972-699-9111

http://www.lynn911.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 8, 2008
If your 2nd master BR cost of $6000 is for a necessary master bath, that would be a fair deal. The other 2
BR up would also have a bath to share. If you dont get a master bath, you dont have a master BR, in my opinion. If so go the 4 BR route.
Regards Roger Vining Realtor
Web Reference: http://www.rogervining.com
I would have to agree with the other agents in a perfect world 2 master type bedrooms down with another 1/2 bath or pool bath where it would have access to the backyard area even if you don't plan to have a pool the next owner might want one? So, I always think about what is the next trend and how to achieve as much as I can currently so it will be in a good position for resale in a few years if needed.
Thanks for your inputs. Yes, 6K is for another master bath on level 2. I am going to check if there are other options/plans of having 2 BRs on level1.
Kris,
The trend of the homes that are really selling the best are those with the master on the first floor and a second bedroom on the first floor. Of course, you would need another full bath on the first floor.

This is very convenient for people that may have elderly parents visiting or living with them that cannot do stairs or if someone is sick and cannot do stairs.

However, a master bedroom up and one down would not add much to the value but make it much more appealing for resale for people that want to be on the same level with the kids while they're young, etc.. 6K is not bad for adding another bathroom either, I would do it if these were your only choices.

Naima
Web Reference: http://www.sumnerrealty.com