General Area in Mar Vista>Question Details

Ca Vacation, Other/Just Looking in Mar Vista, Los Angeles...

3539 Greenwood, Los Angeles CA is Vaca Rental SCAM

Asked by Ca Vacation, Mar Vista, Los Angeles, CA Sun Jul 15, 2012

Rented this house online. BEWARE! SCAM!

Answers

23
answer
Thank you for posting. The listing is not active on Trulia. If you encounter such listings in the future, please flag them by clicking the Report Error button or by contacting Customer Service @ 888-466-3501.
In all seriousness: I think CL should be Legally Class Actioned for providing a forum, without being responsible for illegal actions they facilitate due to lack of ANY Measures to verify Anything Or Anyone. They are wantonly providing service without safeguard, knowingly allowing illegal activity to Repeatedly Thrive- in this forum, unchecked. eBay sorted out Fraud prevention Pretty Friggin Quick when faced with those issues.
CL has SOME responsibility for Due Dilligence!!!
If someone Falls on MY Front Steps: That's On Me.
Advice: Don't poke the Lion in the cage if the door is unlocked....
A little bit of IRONY to "Share": My Current Home in Seattle, SHOWED UP ON CL apparently 2 days ago. (Copied from our Real Estate Agents Listing-Prudential) Last night- I was greeted by 2 people IN MY Livingroom: Who were told to let themselves in & look around. ;) To The CL Con Artist: Give yourself half a point. Alllll You Did Was PISS Me Off More...and dedicate my new free time to Hunting you like VERMIN. I don't care if your in Namibia I got lots of ff miles!!!!!!
Jules, thx so much (and u are lovely too). I can't wait to chat over coffee. Any other information or comments are welcome.
Thx
Hi! For anyone following the drama- The owner & I have touched base (She is Lovely! We are having coffee & going over the files on all this when I arrive ;) I wanted to leave that, so anyone who's read this knows the owner who replied, is the owner- and very dedicated to putting a stop to these people. (And if the Scammers are following this: You SO took on the Absolutely WRONG People. My new hobby- Is Stopping & Prosecuting YOU.)
My agent in LA, pulled the Title & Property info.
Do you want to exchange details with me and we can set up a meeting? We went to the address listed as the Owners Address on our contract, the day of Move In. Had a really bizarre reception there as well. The bank records, account, and full transaction history is documented and 4 dozen emails from the con artists. I have NO illusion- we are going to get our $ back. But-That Family coming across country who saved for a year to bring their kids to Disneyland & get stuck in LA with no $ & no where to sleep- Are a Serious Motivator for me to peruse this until fully resolved. We, Are VERY Invested in seeing this through to resolution. Julesand
Oh, No they got us for 3 Months. Not just a weeks Vacation....and now 3 weeks and counting in a hotel.
Jules, I don't need ur infor if u worried I'm not the owner. Im just trying to help in any way. I can meet u at the site with keys, my ID & a motgage statement if u like. I can't really prevent these types scams but I'd like to catch this one (for all of us) I am very proud of my place & hate to have it tarnished in any way. Especially at the expense of innocent families on vacation! I find it disgusting & mean.
Jules, what I meant was I don't list the address so they must have either hacked the homeaway site or stayed once & then used info to scam others.
I've posted the photo all over the Internet of the man who scammed me- I don't have a problem posting it here too.
A Pre-Apology: This, is probably because I'm now semi-Pavolvian in my hair trigger response to the subject, so please forgive the bluntness: I honestly do not know if you are the owner, ?or if you are- that you are not affiliated with the people doing this. The women living in your home were no strangers to that particular knock at their door. (My Pre & Post Apology for that statement.) I have an attorney, I'm happy to provide all pertaining info, case #'s, etc, & release a full copy of the current documentation that pertains to me, via them. These people likewise- Have ALL my personal details from the application, and my bank account has been breached.
Bill, Yes, you are correct because our first hit with fraud came from Craigslist.
Oh, by the way, would love a picture but how we contact privately? (Nervous about scammers getting more of my info) Maybe thru homeaway us website?
Thx
I did not know homeaway had international websites so I'm not sure but i'll inquire and post my findings. Thanks you so much for info!
I Found this property on Homeaway, and they have opened an internal fraud investigation.
As the property is currently listed on Homeaway, er? Can I inquire as to Why the property is listed as an Available Rental: There are 2 young women living in this house who claim to have been doing so for the last 12-18 months, and have a Lease.
When my husband went to the Door, 2 young women claimed to have been renting this property for a year+. Although they did not recall from whom they were renting, & not Fazed At All, to have a man at their doorstep who thought he had rented the house they occupied. I think the first place you may want to check- is with the occupants of your house. Police charges have been filed in 2 states, and a Federal Fraud Investigation is pending. I have a Photograph of one of the young men involved in this should you suspect you know the individuals involved. The woman who's identity was used for reference, has filed identity theft & likewise a police report.
These scams are all over Craigslist as well.
Hi, I am the owner of this property and have advertised exclusively on homeaway.com. I do not know how someone was able to copy my exact advertisement from the legitimate website or how they were able to obtain the address as it is NOT posted on the ad. Somehow, a professional scam artist did exactly that. I have already filed police reports and notified all sites I was aware of. Please feel free to list any other scammed websites my property was listed on. I will check back on this website to follow up and continue doing what I can to stop this from happening. I am very sorry to anyone that has been hurt and robbed by these criminals.
Hi-It's me! They just Hacked my Email. Sweet.
They Do NOT list it by Address. You receive the Addy after you inquire about the property.
In 30 minutes, I googled the specs, and looked at the photos of the results- And its this house, the Picts. These people, have sent me 35+ emails. Police in 2 states, and an Internet Fraud Division is involved- I came here, to look up the property owner.
They do not list it by Address. You receive the Addy AFTER contact- its listed as a SM or Venice House....Same Photos on all.
Although I don't doubt that you were scammed, you say you found the listing on 23 websites. Strange how I couldn't find one in a routine rental search for the zip code. Of course, be sure to alert the website to this fraud and authorities (as recommended).
If in fact what you state is true, you need to report it to the right authorities. The property does come up on Title and it's owner is named. Hope you didn't lose money. It's always a good idea to work with a licensed broker for any real estate deal, and names along with license numbers can be verified on http://www.Dre.ca.gov
we rented this house as a vacation rental online. Showed up to move in- the 2 unsurprised yo girls who answered the door, refused to say who their landlord is. BEWARE! I have found this house for rent now, on 23 websites, and still counting!!!