General Area in Oakland Park>Question Details

Royalparkcon…, Renter in Oakland Park, FL

! DRAIN FLIES Royal Park Condo 2 years in apartment. Mngmt not controlling,realtor not interested hoarders living next door when I moved in,BE AWARE !

Asked by Royalparkcondo, Oakland Park, FL Tue Sep 28, 2010

renter they dont want your input at the board meetings. These flies are a public health concern BY ENTOMOLOGY and have been cited in other apartments in my building , and perhaps other buildings. BE AWARE !!!!!!!These are not fruit flies. they are DRAIN FLIES known as PHORID FLIES property isnt EFFECTIVELY TREATING the situation, keep calling code enforcement from the city of oakland park, they cited the property for lack of cleanliness ,etc, in dumpster room, recently replaced dumpster as a result of code enforcements investigation, drain flies still are coming into apt.. Code enforcement coming out again today to check dumpster , etc...Never thought I would have to deal with this ,HAD TO PAY a $100 security check.to move in next to the hoarders, infact it was my constant complaining that finally discovered the squalors. No thank you letter from anyone here at the condo, the information and photos of the findings are available at Oakland Park Sherrifs dEPT. landlord HAS DONE NOTHING

Answers

1
Dear Royalparkcon,

Very interesting comments. I know that your first inclination would be that they are coming from the hoarders, but if you spoke with an entomogist, they would have told you that the drain flies live in drains. The bury their eggs in the built up soap scum and waste in your drainage system.

One thing you can try yourself is to take a baby bottle brush and clean your sink and tub drains thoroughly with a mixture of bleach and water. This may help to keep them from hanging around your unit. Another thing to try is to fill your sink with a small amount of bleach and hot water and do not plug it all the way. Allow the water to drain SLOWLY into the drain.

Hope they get the problem resolved!

Linda
Web Reference: http://www.lindacefalu.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 28, 2010