General Area in New York>Question Details

okelloatengj…, Renter in New York, NY

With $4,000, will this help me to kick start my life in New York NY mean while i look for a Job? keeping in mind that i don't have any relative

Asked by okelloatengjames, New York, NY Tue Jan 8, 2013

there With $4,000, i would use this for rent, & all other basic needs as i look for Job. how many month would the landlord demand me to pay? i would love to rent the cheapest room around even if it is 10 mile radius so long as it is cheap and affordable for me. I need answer please!

Answers

5
John W. Chang, MBA’s answer
I would recommend saving up a bit more money, or at least having full-time employment in place, before being set on renting an apartment. Landlords typically require an income of 40x one's monthly rent, and given the prices of apartments in NYC this could prove to be a problem for you. Perhaps you could start out sharing a room with someone, or seek someone looking for roommates, which would allow you some time to adjust to living in NYC.
If you have a place too stay and friends that will help you can find a job real quick if you are willing to take anything to get you started
Thank you so much for your kind answer yes i will see it done to my plan, Your answer gives me more courage. May God Bless you.....
Flag Thu Jan 10, 2013
Consider saving a bit more, also look for employment beforehand...
to rent in NYC one month rent and 1 month security deposit minimum is required depending on your credit history and proved income. It looks like you may be better off finding someone who is looking for a roommate on sites like roommate.com or craigslist. Just be very careful selecting a roommate and a safe area, interview them in person, etc.
Thank you so much for your kind respond Elena.
Flag Wed Jan 9, 2013
That is going to be tight in any major city in the US. When I came to the US 25 years ago (I was in LA) I had $8,000and that was barely sufficient as I searched for work - I supplemented it with part time jobs until I found full time employment. You will need to look at a roommate situation, maybe in New Jersey. If you can find a home-owner looking to find someone to share their home you might be able to keep your move-in expenses down. Depends on how long your job search is going to take - can you start your search from your current location? It is never easy starting new. I wish you Good Luck.