General Area in Loop>Question Details

Syed, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

Will having a window in the 2nd bedroom of a 2-bedroom highrise condo really effect the resale value?

Asked by Syed, Chicago, IL Sun Apr 20, 2008

Answers

5
Sarah Ziehr’s answer
Absolutely! Sunlight is important to may buyers. Also, a bedroom without a window or closet is not technically a bedroom. Sounds like what you are talking about is a one bedroom + den.
The new construction here in Orlando often features these "interior" bedrooms ~ if you can gain fair use of the square footage with an office or media room, that's great. But your resale value is diminished if the buyer perceives this to be a liability, so you may have to sweeten the pot (pay HoA fees or throw in a parking spot) to secure a viable sale down the road. As a rule, i would avoid these floor plans, especially here in Central Florida where my buyers are enjoying a voluminous inventory anyway. Hope this helps, Vivian
Syed,

If there's no window and no other source of natural light, then according to the MLS rules it's a 1Br with a den. That will impact market value if you are competing with other legal 2 Br's. I often see such units marketed as 2Br's but when compared with true 2 Br's they often loose out due to potential resale issues. As Michael says, it's all down to price which ultimately shows you that if it's priced right a buyer may not care if there's not a window. However, "priced right" means dropping your price until someone is prepared to buy. That's where it will affect your resale value.

Good luck, Ken.
Web Reference: http://www.KDRchicago.com
Part of this comes down to legality of that 2nd bedroom. In order to call it a bedroom and not a den it has to have a window, a door and a closet. Actually, let me say it this way: it has to have natural light enter into the bedroom in order to distinguish from a den. That is how those lofts in the West Loop and River North get away with their second bedrooms not having a window. They have those 3/4 walls that let the natural light into the room and thus it is a bedroom.

Getting past that....how will your "2nd bedroom" be effected if it does not have a window? Depends on the buyer. If it is somebody looking to use the 2nd bedroom as an office they may not mind. If it is someone looking to have a roomate it will depend on the roomate. There will be some people who will be turned off and some who won't.
I guess my question is this: Can you add a window? If its a highrise I'm guessing no so there is not much you can do about it. Just realize that some people may not like it but as long as your are priced right you shouldn't worry about what you can't fix.
Hope that helped....good luck!!
As always, it depends on what the prospective buyer is using for comparison, but as a rule I would say that most people would prefer to have a window in their bedroom. If that window offers a scenic view then all the better.
Web Reference: http://www.VassiSaviano.com