General Area in 90404>Question Details

Gary Quiros,  in Los Angeles Westside

Why might properties listed for sale in the local MLS not show up on Trulia?

Asked by Gary Quiros, Los Angeles Westside Thu May 17, 2007

Answers

10
I have noticed that Trulia is not as current or as complete as the real MLS. I often see properties that are listed as active that have already gone pending, or inaccurate pricing which either does not reflect price reductions, or is the amount owed (like the foreclosures) rather than the listed price. MANY agents have the real mls on their websites which is accurate and changes in real time. Also, most MLS's have a guest site. The Los Angels/BH/SM one goes. Just go to http://www.themls.com and click on guests.

Also, if you want to see that or Pasadena/Glendale or the San Diego MLS they are all on my website. There is no registration so you can just jump on and search.

If you have any questions just drop me a line or give me a call.

Sarah Dupree
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 26, 2008
Actually, a few quick clarifications. It's true that we aren't affiliated with the local MLS; Trulia's listings come from brokers/agents/web vendors/etc. In New York, we announced a partnership with the Real Estate Board of NY (not the MLS). More info on that announcement in the link below.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 17, 2007
Adding listings to Trulia or any other multi-purpose site is called 'syndicating' and is left to the discretion of the Brokerage. Most have taken advantage of this add-on marketing strategy over the last several years but times are changing. Very recently, Berkshire Hathaway, who purchased all almost all of the Prudential Realty offices in California and many others around the country, has made the decision to opt of this practice. They hope they can re-create an exclusivity again. The individual agent still has the option to participate.

When all is said and done have some fun 'flying around' checking out what you can get for the money. When you're serious....check out the credibility of local agents.

Deborah Richetta Simon - find me on YELP!
John Aaroe Group-Sherman Oaks or homesbydeborah.com
Trulia, like Zillow and Redfin has to deal with a DAILY shifting market where many listings are off market in under one week. Contact a local agent to get up to date information.
Not all ;properties listed are put into the MLS. The owners may not want to or the agent may not belong to the MLS. I believe that the more exposure a property gets that is for sale, the better. If you truly want to understand what is happening in the real estate world, you need a professional to show you not onlly what is available, but all the other important action taken in order to have a successful close of escrow.

Some sellers request that their property not show up on trulia. Not a smart move when you are closing an escrow.
With some exceptions, an agent generally has to enter the listing into Trulia and other sites to give their listings maximum exposure. With most potential buyers beginning on the internet, often spending months doing their own research before contacting a realtor, sites such as this one are placing information about your home where it will do the most good.
This is another reason why eventually buyers find they need to contact a realtor.. Only a licensed realtor has access to ALL available properties.
Web Reference: http://www.franzplace.com
Others here have posted great answers to this question. I'd like to add that this is a good reason to consult a REALTOR®. In my market, any website that claims to show you ALL of the listings is lying through their teeth. This is because if the person who does the listing entry does not check the correct box, the listing is not visible to anyone other than a REALTOR® member of the MLS. This might happen via ignorance or an oversight, or it might be because the seller says "I don't want my house to be seen on the internet". That may sound like a crazy thing for a seller to say, but I've heard crazier.
You have to upload a 'feed' or submit per listing to get on Trulia. They do not pull data from MLS systems. However, large franchises like Century 21 already have all there listings send to Trulia
It is true that most MLS listings do not show up on Trulia.. However agents with Point 2 websites have their listings automatically sent to Trulia
Kaye Thomas, Real Estate Pro in Manhattan Beach, CA
Trulia is not an affiliated with local MLS.(however, there working with some in New York.) Trulia is feed aggregator for brokers and agents of their listings. Many brokers or agents have to upload their listings themselves to Trulia as their local MLS will not.
Web Reference: http://www.edynblog.com