General Area in Oneonta>Question Details

Allison, Home Buyer in Otego, NY

Why doesn't Oneonta have more affordable apartments for rent for the Non-Collage Student Adult or the mildly disabled?

Asked by Allison, Otego, NY Tue Oct 1, 2013

I have been seking an apartment for months. I am seeking a ground floor unit that is not in a apartment community (their rents seem significantly higher)
All suggetions and ideas welcome. Thank you!

Answers

1
As a full time Realtor, based in Oneonta, I completely agree with your assessment of the long term rental market in Oneonta. The situation is frankly, deplorable. Most local landlords prefer to rent to students, who pay in advance and leave during the summer, at which time the landlord can either pursue the baseball rental market as an outlying area to Cooperstown, or do capital improvements on the unit. Compounding the problem is the fact that home prices are low, therefore, most long term residents who can afford to buy a home, do that.

Due to these unique set of circumstances, affordable long term rentals are few and far between in the City of Oneonta. Craigslist and local drive around offers (watch for signs,) are out there, but the market is competitive and you must be ready to move quickly. Surrounding areas, such as Davenport have more offerings at often at better prices.

A licensed Realtor can help you in your search, as we often are aware of pre-market opportunities. There are several local real estate offices who can help.

Kim Thornton
Licensed Realtor
RealtyUSA, Oneonta
75 Market Street
Oneonta, NY 13820
(607) 222-8571