General Area in 18951>Question Details

Stacey, Home Buyer in 18951

Why are taxes so different in same area? What exactly determines the rate?

Asked by Stacey, 18951 Sat Apr 28, 2012

I have seen 2 houses, roughly the same square feet, the same number of bedrooms and bathrooms, the same school district, the same area (within 5 miles of each other) and the taxes are hugely different. The one house is on 1 acre and the taxes are roughly $3800 and the other does have 10 acres but the taxes are over $6000. Everyone I talk to says land taxes are cheaper than house taxes but is that true and if so, why are the taxes so much higher?

Answers

3
The 9 extra acres are going to be the reason.. your paying tax on the land as well not just the house
One property could have been reassessed recently, since home values have dropped. Are you working with a Realtor yet? If you'd like to send me the addresses I can look into it more for you!

Rebecca Utermohlen
Coldwell Banker Realty Corp
215-896-1935
rutermohlen@cbrealtycorp.com
I am not sure about your state but in Ca. the raising of property taxes year over year is regulated. So if the one property was purchased at a lower price many years ago and the second one was purchased at a higher price more recently the property taxes could be quite different.