John Smith, Home Seller in San Francisco, CA

Who's the best condo conversion law firm? Zachs or Goldstein, Gellman, Melbostad?

Asked by John Smith, San Francisco, CA Mon Jul 23, 2007

There seems to be 2 popular law firms that specialize in "Condo-izing" apartments into separate condos. Andy Sirkin may be the godfather but he is no longer in the business, just doing complex TICs only.

I've heard that the GGM firm is a bit lazy and can't get their act together whereas I've heard nothing about the Zachs Leadbetter firm. Any info?

Help the community by answering this question:


As an attorney working with buyers and sellers of tenant occupied properties, we regularly refer our clients to Andy Sirkin's office. We have also referred clients to David Gellman and Boyd McSparran of GGM.

Jeffery Woo, Esq.
Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold LLP
Complex Rental Property Group
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 19, 2009
I work at Andy Sirkin's firm & we do offer condo conversions.
As this is a point of information, I hope this post does not constitute spam.
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 8, 2008
I have never worked with these firms personally but many of my clients have. I know that Andy Sirkin's firm is only doing TIC work now so you don't really need any information on him, but my clients who have gone through the TIC process with them have reported that their experiences were less than satisfactory--they could not feel comfortable with the lawyers assigned to their case, she was somewhat on the rude side, and she was impossible to get a hold of; if you or anyone ever does business with them, I've been told that you should expect at least 2 days before calls or emails are returned.

As for GGM I've never personally had any experience with them -- so keep in mind that this is second hand information from the experience of my client. It may be because they are so busy with all the condo conversions they do in the city but I was told, similarly to Andy Sirkins' firm, they were uncommunicative and it takes a bit of time to get a return response.

I've heard good things about Murakami Law though I've never personally known anyone who has worked with them, their website: Unfortunately Andy Sirkin's & GGM are the only two firms that my clients have had experiences working with, but the following link is provided by the San Francisco Bar to help people looking for qualified attorneys find what they need:

Good luck on your search!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 29, 2008
GGM have their hands full, it's not that they're lazy. We can help you with the process but you should contact a specialist like Zachs or GGM.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 15, 2009
Andrew Zachs is excellent for the Ellis Act, Tennant evictions, land use issues, and large condo conversions. I have used Zachs for several tenant buyouts and other legal matters. Not sure if he does small condo conversions. Andrew Zachs knows his way around the legal system in SF and he charges handsomely for his expertise.
Andy Sirkin is great and still in business as far as I know.
Lyssa Kaye Paul used to work with Andy Sirkin and she is very good on TIC units but not sure if she does condo conversions. Lyssa now has her own law practice so I would give her a call.
David Gellman and Boyd McSparran of GGM are both very good and I have used them for various real estate issues.
Much of the condo conversion information is available on the internet.
Condo conversion is kind of a "cookie cutter" process so I suggest you call a talk to a few attorneys ask a few other REALTORS who may have experience in this area..
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 26, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer