Angie Schuma…, Home Buyer in Columbus, OH

Which neighborhoods are the hip, urban ones in Colorado Springs?

Asked by Angie Schumacher, Columbus, OH Wed Aug 6, 2008

We are researching a possible move to Colorado Springs and want an older home with some character in a hip, urban part of the City. Since we have never actually been there, hoping there are such neighborhoods there and wondering where they might be? Anybody know?

Answers

7
Catherinelockamy’s answer
Old Colorado City! You can walk to all the shops and restaurants and they have a farmers market every weekend in the summer and bands in the park and festivals. It's a fun place to live with an abundance of older victorian style homes.
I would disagree with this post. Old Colorado City is cute but its no where near hip. I lived in Colorado Springs for a few years and its a very strange conglomerate of religious fanatics, military and hippies. I was just there a few weeks ago with my daughter and there were people in the streets reading scripture out loud- and quite loud which made it uncomfortable to walk by or near them without feeling invaded. Hip neighborhoods would have diversity, activities but not preachers in the middle of the streets.
Flag Sat Sep 21, 2013
80903 and 80904 are the 'HIP' areas I'd say. They are older homes, but many of them are being updated.

How soon are you looking to make a move?
Hello Angie,
Downtown is really becoming a great place to encounter a variety of people and cultures. Colorado College helps give downtown a younger more vibrant vibe. I personally Like to go to Rasta Pasta for that reason. There are nightclubs, great book stores and unique shops downtown.

Colorado Springs is largely suburban and to get that hip situation you are going to go downtown.
I hope this helps.
http://www.goldhillmesa.com is advertising itself this way. It is a new built area on the ridge west of downtown, between the s/w and occ neighborhoods, designed to look Victorian and Craftsman but is totally wired. It has not sold well yet, primarily because it launched in 2007, right when new home sales were in the tank. Correspondingly, the few spec homes over there are some good deals. It's really close to downtown and will be anchored with a variety of light retail.

But like any newly built area, what is planned, and what is there now are two different things.

As far as the classic, walk-to-convenience neighborhoods, there is one grocery downtown near Tejon and Boulder, and the area around Colorado College is doing well with the Old North End, the Grand Dame of all COS neighborhoods immediately to the north, and Divine Redeemer and Hastings to the east. Patty Jewett is to the east of the Old North End and features a lot of the great bungalow architecture of our past and is still on the way up. The area at Corona and Columbia around Dog Tooth Coffee is a really popular meeting area. Sales activity downtown right now is slow by downtown standards, primarily because it has been the most popular and bullish in the last half decade. It has not seen much in the way of price correction at all despite our market being off for more than two years.
Hi Angie :o)

Both Susan and Barb gave you some good areas to look at. You may want to keep in mind that without knowing what you mean by "older home" it's a little difficult to be too specific. The old North end and Westside neighborhoods have turn of the last century Victorians, however between the two I believe that most people would consider the Westside more "hip". Additionally, most of the Old North End area is a Historic District and as such the properties in it are protected, but that also means there are tax credits for historic rehabilitation performed on them.

Surrounding the downtown area or within easy travel distance there are properties in comfortable neighborhoods that range from the late 1800's right up to the 1940's and 50's, so "older home" becomes a little subjective.

If you are open to them, the Downtown and near downtown areas also have lofts available for truly hip in the middle of things living.

I would be happy to go into further detail if you wish. You can feel free to give me a call or contact me through my website below

Brian L. A. Wess
CRS, GRI, ABR, ASR, e-PRO
Realtor®, Broker Associate
Direct: 719-528-6672
I'd have to agree with Susan W. (your first answer) except that she forgot to mention the area around Colorado College. There are lots of older victorians there and close to the night life downtown. By the way our sleepy looking downtown really gets going at night! Because I've owned and managed several victorian homes and rentals I bring a valuable perspective to assist buyers, and I'd love to show you around. You can reach me at 719-930-1323
You might consider Manitou Springs, Old Colorado City (OCC) and parts of the westside. Also, the central business district (downtown) such as the Old North End and Patty Jewett. You'll probably find what you are looking for in these areas.

All of these areas are mountain side, or close and near everything such as shopping, parks, trails, colleges, bars, restraurants, etc... and have fairly easily access to I25 (our main corridor) for commuting purposes.

Susan Walker