General Area in Detroit>Question Details

Paul Johnson, Home Buyer in Regent Park, Detroit,...

Which are the good suburbs in Detroit?

Asked by Paul Johnson, Regent Park, Detroit, MI Fri Jan 8, 2010

I was wondering which are the good areas and the ones to stay away from.

Answers

4
Paul, they are all good in their own ways, please clarify what criteria you are looking for.

@Tony - Realtor is a designation given to real estate agents who are members of a trade association, there are no laws prohibiting any behaviour regarding realtors, only a code of ethics. Perhaps you are referring to the discrimination laws which prohibit licensed real estate agents from steering clients to or from certain areas based on the real estate agents understanding of local demographics. Those apply to an agent's relationship with her client, not a blog or forum. See US Constitution, 1st Amendment.
I don't know what you mean by "good," but I was born and grew up in the Detroit area, and I purchased a bank-owned property in suburban Detroit for an investment this past summer, which allowed me to become re-acquainted with the area.

As an investor in rental housing, what you want is the combination of low purchase price, low renovation costs, high rental demand now and in the future, and relatively low carrying costs. In other words, a good return on investment (ROI) long-term and good cap rates.

Suburban Detroit is an excellent place to find this combination. There are many bank owned properties available in a wide variety of communities.

Please call or email me directly, let me know what size property you're in the market for and about how much you'd like to spend, and I can introduce you to people who can really help you.

Karla Harby
Vice President
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Charles Rutenberg Realty, LLC
127 East 56th Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10022
(212) 688-1000 ext. 383
(917) 365-0876 cell and text messages
(212) 688-1919 fax
kharby@rutenbergrealtyny.com
http://www.rutenbergrealtyny.com/agent_details.aspx?agentid=51888
Hi Paul
Realtors are technically prohibited by law from really answering a question like that, but like Maureen said they can point you in the right direction to research data on schools, crime, median income, etc. I've always thought http://www.city-data.com gave a lot of relevant statistics.

With that being said, I'm a lender and am bound by no such rules :) Maureen has listed some of the more "exclusive" communities; and like she said it goes to reason that they are also some of the priciest.

Some other areas to consider might include Plymouth, Royal Oak,Novi,Ann Arbor (although not really a "detroit" suburb).

I agree with Maureen though that it would help to specify what criteria are most important to you and then working from there. Some other factors to elaborate on might be: price range, quality of schools, crime rate, etc.

The more specific you are in your questioning, the more relevant feedback you'll get. Then from there once you've settled on an area to look in you can go about finding the Realtor best suited to help you find a house there.

Best of luck, and if you have any finance questions don't hesitate to concact me. That is my area of expertise

Tony
Hi Paul,

What does good mean? Are you looking for the best schools? Check http://www.schoolmatters.com

Good is very subjective and I think most of the Realtors here will not be able to answer that for you. Your budget as a buyer is really a key factor.

If you want to live in some of Metro Detroit's priciest communities (which I am not saying are the "good" ones, then you are likely looking at places like Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Franklin, Northville, Grosse Pointe Shores and a few others.

What are things that are important to you? Being close to work or schools? Living in a smaller community? Proximity to the airport? All factors that would help us to tell you what communities you might prefer.
Web Reference: http://miOaklandCounty.com
Maureen Fran…, Real Estate Pro in Birmingham, MI