General Area in Chicago>Question Details

essence, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

Which Chicago suburb are top rated as far as good schools, low crime, median income, and with home prices around the 220k mark?

Asked by essence, Chicago, IL Tue Jun 18, 2013

As a first time home buyer I am looking for a single detached house with 35-45 min (that is with no traffic) drive from downtown. Taxes no more than $5500. A great suburb to start and raise a family, so good schools etc. Looking for a house that has a generous lot and as much of open terrain as possible. (Close to parks or forest preserve)

If you prefer the North or Northwest suburbs, I'd go with Mount prospect, Arlington heights, park ridge, Morton grove, Schaumburg, or Park Ridge.

On the West and Southwest burbs: Downers grove, Naperville, Wheaton, Addison, LaGrange, Countryside.

Almost all have good schools and you can get some good priced homes in each. Hope it helps
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 18, 2013
You will get a myriad of answers from agents who specialize in different areas around the city. I'd start with researching schools and go from there. It is illegal for us to "steer" you to a certain town or neighborhood, especially when crime is mentioned. Check out school ratings, ask family, friends or colleagues for recommendations, and visit a few places that meet your criteria. But be realistic. It takes 35-45 minutes to drive downtown from virtually anywhere outside of the downtown area. Make sure that you're also talking with a lender to know exactly how much you can spend. Good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 18, 2013
For schools try looking at

This reviews schools.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 18, 2013
I would recommend the Elmwood Park, Norridge, Des Plaines area going West. Prospect Heights/ Arlington Heights areas going North West. Skokie, Evanston, Morton Grove, Niles going North.

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Founder and Team Leader

Innovative Property Consultants Group | Sales and Leasing

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030

"Extraordinary Service For Extraordinary Lives"
As REALTORS it is against our ethical practices to give you advice on one neighborhood over another. I suggest you check with the school district to determine best test scores. You may also get some good advice from co-workers and friends. When it comes to crime you should check with the police department to see what type of calls they receive on a certain street or neighborhood. Gathering independent information will help you make a wise decision. Best wishes!
You have described Hoffman Estates, Roselle and Schaumburg very well.
Let me know when you want to see the best choices for you.

I came to Naperville in 1968 and know the areas very well. It sounds like DuPage County is where you will want to be. Please feel free to contact me at any time. I would be happy to help you with your real estate needs.
Do you have any preference as per North, South or West of downtown?

35-45 minute drive is a huge area.
Northwest or west I would prefer.
Flag Tue Jun 18, 2013
I can offer you several places to start your search, feel free to call or write and we can go from there.