General Area in Davie>Question Details

Danielle Mon…, Real Estate Pro in Old Bridge, NJ

Where to live in Southeast Florida??

Asked by Danielle Monaghan, Old Bridge, NJ Tue Oct 12, 2010

I am an adult college student moving to southeast florida with her boyfriend to attend Nova Southeastern University. I am willing to move within 40 minutes of the school, because I don't mind the commute. However, what are the safest and best areas to live within that area? I am really looking for that neighborhood feel, but close to the water. (We have a boat.) We will be be looking to rent a home at first, but then will be looking to settle down and buy a place, once we find the perfect town. We are from New Jersey, so I really need help!

Answers

11
Weston is a safe quite area.
I'm not in real estate but I will tell you from personal experience (I've lived here my entire life and have gone to school/work here as well) that I totally understand where you are coming from when you talked about Hollywood and Davie. The areas around NSU are pretty bad, gang related kids and such. I would know, I attended the high school where the majority of those kids and the kids from the communities where NSU is dropped out from. West Davie can be a gorgeous place, I would personally love to move out there soon. It's beautiful in it's houses and scenery and the occasional horse back rider is always pleasant. Just know that when it comes to this south east Floridian area that the more east you go, the worst it gets. Pembroke Pines is close to NSU as well and is a bit south west of the campus. West Pines is great as well, tons of communities and such. Although it is a distance from the beach, the houses are well worth it. The same goes for the Cooper City area which is closer to the campus but still west. If you're looking for a nicer place near the water, I suggest Delray Beach, Hallandale beach condos, etc. Anywhere in Hollywood, Dania Beach, etc you should avoid at all costs. Remember, just because the house is nice doesn't mean the neighborhood "gangs" are. (Keep this is mind especially if you ever consider the houses before the bridge on Hollywood blvd.) Well, best of luck to you! (:
I am sorry that you felt unsafe in the hollywood area and had a problem with the complex in Davie both cities are large so I am not sure exactly where you were. Again as far as travel time both cities are perfect and close to major highways since you can pick up 595 for east and west travel and 95 to south and north travel. Both are close to the airport,shopping , casino, hard rock and lots of restraunts and entertainment. I still have to suggest you reconsider both areas. Vicotria park is a quaint area but there are parts that have their issues like any city. It is not close to Nova, but is closer to the beach if that is what you are interested in. 1200 is a reasonable rent rate for a 2/2 in any of these areas. Do you have any pets? I can set you up on a automatic notification system which will send you the lastest listing for you to view. When do you need to move?.When are u planing on visitng our area?
Thanks everyone! I'm not sure why Jupiter was recommended, since it is an hour and 10 minutes from Davie! Anyways, we are looking for a rental for approximatelt $1200 per month. Keep in mind, we have 2 cars, and one of them is a pick up truck. I want to stay away from Hollywood. We visited there a few weeks ago and did not feel safe in that area. I am also a little nervous about Davie because we found the perfect apartment complex there, until we found out there was a murder in the complex last year, and there are robberies all the time. Besides, I want to stay away from the college kids and their off campus housing, being that I am 26 years old. Is Delray Beach too far? I have never seen the Victoria Park area, so I am not sure what it looks like. But I am going to look into it. Is there anything for rent in that area now?
Hi Danielle. Davie is pretty far west and not near the ocean at all. Jupiter is way north and really a suburb of West Palm Beach.

Victoria Park is still your best bet because of booming Las Olas and downtown Fort Lauderdale. There's tons to do, you guys are young and would love something urban near the beaches. Victoria Park also has sidewalks, real sidewalks, like up north. The difference between VicPark's sidewalks and all the rest of the sterile developments in Southeast Florida (including my town), are that people actually walk on those sidewalks all the time!!

GOOD LUCK again and call me if you need my help. I'll give you the skinny.

; )

Scott Miller, Realty Associates, Boca Raton, FL
Jupiter is the place for you. It has many young people and lots of activities. It is the city next to NSU and only minutes from the beach. I am from NJ and also live there.
Marshall Reiter
Realty Associates
I am also from New Jersey. A 40 mile distance is to much for south florida. We are spread out and a 40 mile distance can take over a hour depending on traffic to get to your destination. There are many great areas around Nova. I am also a graduate of Nova University. You will want to look in the Town of Davie or the city of Hollywood. Hollywood gives you the best bang for your buck but Davie is minutes to Nova and there is allot of rentals in nice areas. How much do you have set aside for rental payments. When are you planing on moving?
I have to agree with Scott, Victoria Park and the surrounding area East of US1 would be great! Another nice commmunity is Davie, where Nova is located. There are a lot of lakes, parks, riding/running trails and a great sense of community. There are some homes in Davie and East in Dania that have water going to the ocean. It is a long ride though.
Hi Danielle: You can also look in Hallandale it is very nice and reasonable.
Hi Danielle. If you really want a cool neighborhood, check out Victoria Park in Fort Lauderdale. This is an amazing neighborhood to live in, close to Las Olas and downtown, plus it's near the water. Not gated, not snooty, very hip and down-to-earth real neighborhood like we have up north.

PERFECT, I'm telling you.

Give me a shout if you need any more information.

GOOD LUCK.