Nooyawk, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

Where the heck is Hamilton Heights? Do I want to live there?

Asked by Nooyawk, New York, NY Sat May 5, 2007

Answers

5
JOSEPH RUNFOLA JR, BROKER, GRI’s answer
The median sales price for homes in Hamilton Heights, New York for Sep 09 to Nov 09 was $810,000 based on 2 sales. Compared to the same period one year ago, the median sales price increased 31.7%, or $195,000, and the number of sales decreased 33.3%. Average price per square foot for Hamilton Heights was $322, an increase of 20.6% compared to the same period last year.

There are currently 30 resale and new homes in New York on Trulia, including 3 open houses, as well as 7 homes in the pre-foreclosure, auction, or bank-owned stages of the foreclosure process. The average listing price for homes for sale in Hamilton Heights was $662,839 for the week ending Jan 20, which represents an increase of 11.4%, or $67,622, compared to the prior week.
Web Reference: http://www.clovelake.com
Hamilton Heights is a section of Harlem between 135th Street and 155th Street. It includes Strivers Row and Sugar Hill. It is a historic district with beautiful 19th century row houses and brownstones. More information below
Mitchell Hall, Real Estate Pro in New York, NY
I noticed a lot of errors in these answers- including the wikipedia link. Be very careful when viewing real estate listings because many brokers don't know the borders well. My apartment was marketed as Washington Heights- but it in actuality it was in the Hamilton Heights section of Harlem. That was 4 1/2 years ago- and I still see lots of these errors today although the accuracy has been improving as Harlem becomes are realistic choice for more and more New Yorker's now that the crime rates have dropped so significantly.

The southern border is 135th street and the northern border is 155th street. The Western border is the Hudson River. The Eastern border is a bit more complicated (with a bit of a zig-zag) and I am a little fuzzy on it myself- but I believe it's Edgecombe Ave until 141st then moves to St Nicolas below 141st. Sugar Hill is the historic district on the eastern side (Between Amsterdam and St. Nicholas/Edgecombe). Some people might be inclined to include Bradhurst into Hamilton Heights- but I wouldn't make that assumption so quickly- it can be verified by Police Precinct, Zip Code, Community Board, etc. Sugar Hill has some of the most beautiful buildings in NYC. Hamilton Heights is also home to City College. Many of the original buildings from City College were designed by the same architect that designed the New York Stock Exchange building.

Allesandra's answer was also including the neighborhood of Manhattanville (123rd-135th streets). Manhattanville has gotten lots of press in recent years because Columbia University has bought a large portion of the land West of Broadway for a $6-7 billion campus expansion (to be spent in a 20+ year period).

Strivers Row is NOT a part of Hamilton Heights- it's in Central Harlem. Hamilton Heights is in West Harlem.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 15, 2009
That's a good question, it's between 135th St-15th St in Harlem. It has great row houses etc... To answer your second question, do you want to live there? You should consider how long will your commute be from your job, do you feel comfortable late at night commuting? Also look up the crime stats in the nycpd website. Consider walking around the area and lastly if you're looking for a spacious apartment that won't break the bank there's a few other locations in the city and not uptown that you might want to look at. Feel free to email me and I'll run a search depending on your budget. It's still a good time to buy, rates are low and sellers are a bit nervous which makes it the perfect storm for buyers like yourself. Have a great Labor Day weekend!!