josher17, Renter in San Luis Obispo, CA

Where should I look for an affordable rental for a family attending Cal Poly for a year and half?

Asked by josher17, San Luis Obispo, CA Fri Feb 1, 2013

I will be attending grad school at Cal Poly in the Fall. I need to find an affordable place to rent for a small family and a dog (2-3 bedrooms). I will be in SLO for approximately a year and a half. I know this is early to begin looking but I don't know which general area to start. Thanks!

Answers

3
Your best rental source for SLO is craigslist.org - However, if you can swing the down payment of 3.5% you may want to buy a home, as it will save you a lot of money. Home prices and interest rates are historically low.

Buying vs. Renting
http://www.dnorwood.com/MORTGAGE_CALCULATOR.aspx

Please give me a call to discuss you home buying options. 805-471-0828

David Norwood-Central Coast Real Estate David@DNorwood.com
Web Reference: http://DNorwood.com
Hi this is Ken with USA Realty. It is sometimes difficult to find a place as rents to go fast. If you would like you could send me your email info and if I run across something, which can often happen, I could send you the info. My email is KenJamesRealtor@gmail.com
Unfortunately, rents are pretty high in SLO, especially for housing near campus. Rents in town start at about $1500 and up for a 2-bedroom house. Townhouses can be a bit less, but $1500 is a pretty good idea of a starting point. If you are willing to deal with a 15- or 20-minute commute every day, Atascadero is less expensive and has more availability.

Start your search on Craigslist for San Luis Obispo. That site covers the entire county.Expect to pay a pet deposit (and also to see many landlords that don't accept pets at all). There are several rental agencies in town, but I hesitate to recommend any of them due to the high number of complaints I've heard. Good luck!
Thanks so much for the advice! I will look into Atascadero. I have also heard the Morro Bay/Los Osos and the Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande areas have a slightly cheaper average rental than San Luis Obispo. Any thoughts on those regions?
Flag Tue Apr 9, 2013