General Area in Portland>Question Details

Colin, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Where should I buy?

Asked by Colin, San Francisco, CA Wed Mar 2, 2011

Is the Pearl district the nicest area in Portland?

Answers

16
Hi Colin,

I lived in the Bay Area before moving up here in '93. I still have friends down in SF and visit whenever I can. As others have said, Portland is a neighborhood city like SF. It's divided in quadrants, with east/west divided by the Willamette River and north/south divided by Burnside St. In general the westside is more like the Marina in SF and the neighborhoods along the Presidio. The eastside is a bit funkier, more like the Mission, the Haight, etc. Besides the Pearl, some other nice areas are NW around 23rd and NE in the Hollywood neighborhood (kinda like Noe Valley). Other popular neighborhoods on the eastside are the Hawthorne and Mississippi neighborhoods (similar to Bernal Heights).

Hope that helps! As others have said, it really depends on what you're looking for in a neighborhood. Let me know if I can be of any help with your search up here, and good luck!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 2, 2011
There are many great neighborhoods to choose from. The Pearl district is definitely one of them.
Here is a great list of neighborhoods that Portland has to offer with alot of help tips, "walkscore", local places of interest, neighborhood homes/condos for sale and so much more.
http://relocationtoportland.com/portland-neighborhoods/

Check out 101 cool Portland places too. this is a great link to find all of Portland's attractions and places of interest, including many around the Pearl District.
http://relocationtoportland.com/category/101-cool-portland-places/

Let me know what your plans are.
Kevin Levy
503-267-7535
M Realty
Colin- what is most important is what you are looking for and where you will be working. You would not want to buy in the far northern part of Portland and work over in the Wilsonville side of things or that type of travel - could be very difficult. Then again, you may totally enjoy down town living as opposed to some of the country feel they have there. The best thing to do is contact an agent there to see what is available in the type of home you want. That will give them the idea as to where to look and what will work best for you!
Colin-
There are many great locations to consider in Portland but exactly which one will depend on what you are really looking for.

Portland will offer you a great variety, from NW Portland and the Pearl for a trendy urban feel, to NE Alberta or N. Mississippi Ave for cool restaurants and interesting shops. Established neighborhoods such as SE Hawthorne or SE Sellwood are great and have good SF feel based on the style of homes.

Home values have been stronger the closer you are to downtown (condo's have suffered however) and as you move out to the suburbs be careful to stick to areas that have not been over developed as home values have really suffered there.

Hi Colin:

Where you "should" buy is not going to be answered by any of us in this forum; rather, you will be the one who answers that question for yourself. That is, once you have identified the features you require in a new home or condo you will be able to narrow your list of options quite a bit. Your next step will be to decide what features you want (versus must have) in your new home. Answering this question will further narrow your options.

I worked with several clients from the bay area and, surprisingly, each has chosen a different Portland neighborhood because it reminded them most of San Francisco: One couple chose the Sellwood neighborhood because of its old Victorian homes, eclectic shops and restaurants, and location. Another client purchased in the Nob Hill neighborhood for similar reasons; others have purchased in the Pearl District, the Hawthorne District, and Alberta Arts District.

If you would like more information on each of these neighborhoods (or others) I will be more than happy to send you as much information as you like. I can best be reached at patricksmith@oregonrealty.com

Appreciatively,

Patrick
The Pear District is fantastic urban living, but it depends on what kind of lifestyle you want to live and what you can afford for housing. Other factors people take into consideration are location to work, schools, friends and family. There are many fantastic neighborhoods in Portland, each with their own flavor. Have you visited and began exploring some of the areas? Truly a good Realtor that knows the entire metro area can show you a variety of choices and help you narrow down the list so you will end up in the perfect location for your needs. Welcome to the great northwest!
If you are asking about condos and what is with in walking distance you can do a walk score and the Pearl will probably come out on top because you have light rail and restaurants on every corner and shops for clothes and furnishings all with in blocks and close to a hospital and only 5-10 blocks to the center of downtown. Go to http://www.walkscore.com and that will let you know if what you are looking at has what you want if you can afford the area. The Pearl has studios to million dollar penthouses with great views and a great location. Let me know more of your specifics and I can pin down the area much better. Good luck and you will love Portland.

Tom Inglesby, Broker
RE/MAX Equity Group
503-319-9035
HI Colin, First qustion is where would you like to Buy? Each to their own so it's said. What one make think is a perfect area or property to live in, another will not.

Best to drive around and see which area's you like best then get the details on the areas' you like

All the best

Dave & Lisa
Web Reference: http://www.urhomerealty.net
Colin: your thoughtful question has brought out the best qualities of our "Best of the Best" Portland Oregon Realtors, and I congratulate you on your disingenuous-ness. I applaud us (I am a Portland Realtor as well) for taking a fair and direct approach to your question; you’ll note that none among us are self-promoters – we are instead committed to giving our public the highest standards of service that the real estate profession has to offer – and from that vantage Colin we are more interested in expanding our understanding of your capacity, needs, and interests than we are of stepping into the limelight as candidates to become “Your Realtor for Life.” I agree with my colleagues, who are all fundamentally interested in knowing more about you, and more specifically interested in what your concept of the ideal place is to live. As you share with us – your community of service-minded Portland Realtors – your idealized “wish list,” our capacity to serve your interests will expand and multiply, and from among the panoply of our voices you’ll begin to distinguish that one voice from among the chorus which is speaking to you. That person, Colin, is your Realtor for Life. Colin, take this moment to rejoin our forum of committed professionals and tell us a little more about yourself. Sincerely, Shannon Spence, REMAX Equity Group
Web Reference: http://www.spencetobey.com
Hello Colin

There are many areas in Portland and each are unique. You are going to have to decide what your interested in and what things are inportant (schools, commute, neighborhood vibe, hobbies). Condos, townhouses, detached single family. The Pear District is great. Transportation is easy and all of your resturants, shops, grocery stores, and gym are right at your finger tips. There are going to be a lot of factors that you will have to consider to determine your perfect neighborhood.
Good Luck
Heather
Hi Colin
I see you're in my home town! If you like San Francisco I think you'll like Portland too... and as far as where to buy as all have said, Pearl is nice if you want the ultimate in urban living with shops and restaurants at your doorstep. But to say that its the nicest, would only be true if it fits the personality of the neighborhood you're looking for and your particular lifestyle. Where do you live in SF? Like that city, we're very "neighborhood-y" here and they all have personalities. So I'd need to hear a little more about your lifestyle to say where the "nicest" neighborhood for you would be. I'm happy to share the info with you if you contact me. I've worked with many people relocating to our city. As a "Califor-gonian" as I call myself, having lived about 1/2 in each place, I can relate.
Moving can be an adventure, so no matter what you decide to do in getting help from someone in Portland, I wish you the best!
Marge
I agree with Jewel... depends on what you are looking for. There are so many unique areas in Portland, each with it's own personality. If you will be working in Portland I would decide how close you want to be from work, will you be using public transportation, are you a "walker", and what you are looking for in a home and neighborhood. Portland is a great place with so much to offer it is tough saying which part is the nicest. Oh yes, guess I should have mentioned your budget. That will play heavily on where you can afford to buy. Hope that helps.
Hi Colin,

There are many very nice areas in Portland to live and the Pearl is definitely one of them! A lot of your decision on where to buy a home is driven by your lifestyle factors. If you're going to have a job here then the proximity to your workplace is another important consideration most buyers. Obviously, your price range will be a determining factor as well.

If we could be of service to you please let me know. Have a great evening!

Steve
Colin,

Call me and I'll share some market statistics that you will find very useful in making this decision. Is the Pearl District nice? Yes. Is it the nicest area of Portland? Not necessarily. It all comes down to what will meet your specific needs while seeing what various areas around Portland have to offer. I'm happy to navigate you to the right purchase for you.

My number is 503-780-7599

Steve
Colin,

The Pearl District is one of the nicer areas in Portland. However, it may not be the best place for you to live. In determining where the best place for you to live in Portland would be, I would need to know more about your needs before giving you my opinion of what neighborhood would best fit those needs. Feel free to contact me for more info.

Take care.
That depends on the type of neighborhood you are looking for and if you are looking at lofts, condos, or detached homes. Please tell me what you'd like to have in a home? The Pearl is nice for the public transportation, shopping, cultural central, very trendy. Call anytime 503-936-2432 -Jewel K Stockli, Real Estate Broker, Prudential NW Properties