General Area in East Quogue>Question Details

Kristina, Home Buyer in

Where is the best place to buy in the Hamptons?

Asked by Kristina, Thu Jul 19, 2007

Specifically we're looking for a property under $1M, preferably around $500-$600k, that we'd use as a weekend home and possibly rent it out for a few months during the summer. where is the best place for our money? we like quogue and east quogue since they are closer to the city, any thoughts?

Answers

14
There are quite a few listings under $700,000 in the hamptn bays and East Quogue area. There are several in the Westhampton area, too. I like East Quogue, because it is still country-like.
Web Reference: http://www.beachamptons.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 27, 2007
I have lived in Manhattan for 25 years and owned my house in East Quogue for 11 years.

For Great Beaches, country escape from city, easy commute back and forth to Manhattan you can't beat East Quogue!

Quick Drive to Bridgehampton or Easthampton to visit my city friends.
I just sold a gorgeous home in Hampton Bays for $475,000 in the Red Creek area. Please feel free to contact me at any time to help assist you in finding the perfect home. I was born and raised in the area, and know it like no other.

Melissa Goss

Coldwell Banker Showplace Realty

1-631-220-2615
Look at 15 Old Country Road, East Quogue. It's listed. Great property and location. Never has the traffic like in some of the towns, but close enough to everything you want and need in the area,
Home is in great condition.
Quite some time ago, you posted an inquiry on Trulia seeking real estate advice. If you are still considering purchasing or selling real estate or have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me. Please accept my best wishes for a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Ralph Windschuh
Associate Broker
Certified Buyer Representative
Senior Real Estate Specialist
Century 21 Princeton Properties
631-467-0009
rwindschuh@c21princetonproperties.com
Our team services Remsenburg through Hampton Bays. Within that area, Westhampton and Westhampton Beach is where you'll find your best selection in your price range. The hamlets are also close to beaches, the charming village of Westhampton Beach, restaurants, shopping, and entertaining. Call or email any time, Robin 631-848-8469
Hampton Bays or East Quogue. Southampton SD part of Hampton Bays has lower taxes than the Riverhead SD part.
Kristina,
That is a loaded question, Where is the best place to buy in the Hamptons?
As much as I would love to say buy here or buy there, Numbers speak volumes.
Price Point helps determine where someone can go, But within an area like the Hamptons
Each area will offer different things for the same price point.

I would pose a few questions to you to help make an educated decision as to what area or place might best suite you needs and or wants. Short of using the home on Weekend and holiday for you and you loved one, I see that you mention renting the home during the summer months as well that you already liked Quogue and East Quogue.

** First you mention 500,000 to 600,000 are you buying this home Cash or Mortgaging?
- This will offer us insight to purchasing power and what type of return one might get if they where to rent a home.
** Second, How many Bed rooms and Bath rooms do you feel is need to accommodate your family and friends?
-This goes to your personal use of the home and enjoyment of it.

** Third, Do you require a pool?
-In most cases a pool will help rent a property but it is not required.

** Forth, Do you have to be on the water or not? If so, what type Open Bay, Canal front for those boat lovers, Ocean view or on the sandy beach?
-This goes to location and is very important when renting or using the home yourself to enjoy.

In this day and age there are many homes are the market place, but most will differ in price location and ammentiies. Hamptons Bays in most case will offer the most for you money if one need to accomidate a large family with less out of pocket expense.

Quogue althought a great village will be more expensive and one funds will not go as far but if a small cottage is the goal that this might be a fit.

East Quogue is a good median ground for price point and will offer a good value for the dollar smililar to Westhampton or Westhampton Beach.

The Dune in Westhampton can offer a great value if one wants that bay side view or a beach cottage.

Finding a home is easy, but it is best done with a professional to represent you and not the seller. Hire a buyer broker to represent your interest and not the sellers. We offer Buyer brokerage service if you are interested in have a professional on your side.
Buy a house with the best features and benefits: near the beach with local beach rights, close to a village with shopping, dining, and entertainment amenities. A summer rental MUST is a pool. Quogue, Quiogue, and Westhampton Beach offer the best features, lowest taxes, and highest resale/investment value.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 12, 2009
I am a realtor for nine years in East Quogue, however I grew up in Hampton Bays. If you are looking to find a nice area, I would recommend East Quogue or Quogue or Westhampton Beach. Hampton Bays is a great location as well, however the clientel that rent in Hb are usually young collage kids because there are many bars in the area. East Quogue is more of a family neighborhood and most renters are families with young children. Westhampton Beach has a great rental possibility since there is a synagogue there and there are many people that like to be in that area. Now, Quogue is a different type of clientel. Quogue is a spectacular area where if you are lucky you can find a home under 1 mil. There are currently about four homes under 1mil. Quogue has very strict rental proceedures, so you are guarenteed a great tenant. All towns in the township of Southampton do require a rental permit, so you can not rent to more then 5 unrealated people. If you do and you are caught, you can be fined upwards for 30k. It depends on the situation. As for being closer to the city, we are seeing a lot of people selling in East Hampton and moving to East Quogue. going further then Hampton Bays will add lots of traffic and headaches. As for the ocean access, you can access the ocean by bridges in Quogue, WH, or HB. Hope this helps. If you would like to see some properties, my name is Kalen with Quogue East Realty at 631-653-9660.
Well I bought in Hampton Bays! I am sooo happy! I had great professional service at Compass East Realty on main street in the town. My kids are settling in to school , which by the way is wonderful! my middle child is now in the new Middle School- which is the first "green" school in N.Y. How exciting!
I suggest to anyone looking for a town that is just like the one we all dreamed of-quaint, smal and friendly.
For once there's a consensus. If you like Quogue and Hampton Bays there should be no problem finding a home within your budget. These areas did not see a massive run up in price so they are not subject to the massive correction that is underway. Cheers.
In the price range that you referred to, the best places to purchase a home is in East Quogue,or Hampton Bays. There are some extremely good values on the market right now. I am a full time realtor who lives and works in the Hampton's on a full time basis. I will be more than acccomodating in your search for a summer reteat! Please feel free to contact me@631-680-7205, or email. Thanks, Rich
any area west of the Shinnecock canal-from westhampton to Hampton Bays (my preference Hampton bays- great waterfront town!)