General Area in Sonoma>Question Details

Julie, Home Buyer in San Francisco, CA

Where is a good part of Sonoma to live in with kids? What are the best public schools?

Asked by Julie, San Francisco, CA Thu Mar 5, 2009

Answers

6
Hi Julie,
I think that you are referring to Sonoma Valley, which is where I live. Sonoma is so quirky because you can't simply say that one certain area is the best. The east side of Sonoma is certainly considered a great area of Sonoma, but there are so many pockets of "great" all over town. If you wanted to tell me a certain price range I could email you some houses that are on the market in that range that are in nice areas.
In terms of schools, my 2 kids go to the Sonoma Charter School, which is a public school with its own governing board. Sonoma has five regular public elementary schools, two K-8 charter schools (one Waldorf, one Montessori/traditional), three (maybe more?) private schools, two middle schools and one high school. I would suggest coming up for tours of the schools to get a feel for which you like the best. The website greatschools.net is fairly decent. If your kids are younger, the Sonoma Valley Mothers Club offers good resources on their website.
Call or email me if you need any further information. I am happy to drive you around on an informational tour of the various neighborhoods sometime.
Jane
707-694-8202
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 6, 2009
The person who answered from LA obviously does know somthing about the Sonoma Valley and It's a shame when Realtors fail to see the graviety and severity of a monumental collapse in the US economy.

If you only could see the facts and understand no one area is insulated. Want to some REO that is soon to arrive. CAll me.
The person who answered from LA obviously does not know the Sonoma Valley at all. It's a shame when people give their opinion without knowing what they're talking about. Sonoma has taking a huge drop in home values in the entry to mid level homes, but that does not affect which areas are nice. The HGTV dream home is in Sonoma!
SONOMA...GOOD PART ? WHAT THE ?
(JUMBO SHRIMP, MILITARY INTELLIGENCE, GOOD PART OF SONOMA)

BE GRATEFULL ...

ACTUALLY THATS ONE ZIP CODE THAT HAS FOUGHT LIKE A CHAMPION TO MAINTAIN VALUES....BUT LIKE EVERYWHERE ELSE......FALLING !
There are several areas that are great for kids. All the public schools have their strengths and weaknesses. Much depends on affordability and the reality is, in certain areas, even in today's market, you won't likely find anything under $750k, but will find plenty for over 1m. I have so many clients right now that want to be in a certain location with certain asthetics, but the most desired area is pricey and represents a small fraction of the developed area of Sonoma. I have a daughter in a public elementary school here and would be happy to share my insight and/or help you find a home. You can look at test scores, but that doesn't really tell the whole story.

I love Sonoma; it's such a great place to live. Call me if you like.
Hi Julie,

Great questions. We not only work in Sonoma County, but we live here and are raising our children here - so we understand the importance of your research for your kids. Quick question, are you referring to the county of Sonoma or the town of Sonoma? Please email us back at RealEstateTime@aol.com and we would be happy to answer your question in detail.

As for the best schools, many people have different ideas of what makes a good school - test scores, academics offered, sports programs, etc. A great place to research schools and to see if they have what you personally are looking for, go to: http://www.bestplaces.net/school/

Take care,

Jerry & Amanda Arend
707-586-TEAM
RealEstateTime@aol.com
Web Reference: http://www.NorthBayTeam.com