General Area in New York>Question Details

Erik, Home Buyer in Buffalo, NY

Where can i find a 2-3 BR in a walkable community with a reasonable commute to Manhattan for under 450K?

Asked by Erik, Buffalo, NY Thu Sep 20, 2007

Other than Montclair, Maplewood, and Summit, NJ? By walkable I mean a community with a downtown; good restaurants, shops, etc. Ideally we are looking for a house with a small property.

Answers

10
How about Hopewell Junction, NY? It's about 90 mins by train to the City. Lots of people I know live there and raise family. Big house and lot and people friendly. Suburb feeling.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 2, 2007
You can still find 2-3 BR apartments in New York City. Ever thought of Washington Heights and Inwood? Great commuty with easy train commutes, shopping area's nice neighborhood restaurants, parks and excellents public schools. Also, just a bit higher up, Riverside, there you might be able to get even more space for your money.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 24, 2007
My blog site actually has a "walk score" widget - you might want to try that for various neighborhoods. It works for just about anywhere - not just my geographic area. Just plug in address and click - you'll get a pretty good feel for each area this way. It's on the side bar - no need to logon or give any information - just enjoy.
Hi Erik,

Westchester County offers a lot of options. Metro North, the commuter train line, has 3 lines that run through Westchester County which include the Hudson, the Harlem and the New Haven lines. Check out their website at:

http://mta.info and click on schedules to determine commuting time into Grand Central.

Robin Lynch
Keller Williams Realty Group
760 White Plains Road
Scarsdale, NY 10583
914-315 -6182
Although it's kind of odd for me to see a "walkable community" question here (since I'm used to encountering them in various community and urban planning meetings), I'm glad you asked the question. I'm also curious about walkable communities--only from an investor's perspective.
Another great option to consider are the towns along the Raritan Valley train line. In particular,
the towns of Cranford, Westfield, and Fanwood/Scotch Plains all have charming homes in
all price ranges, many under the $450K mark. Cranford and Westfield in particular are highly
desirable -- people love their vibrant downtowns, which have shops, restaurants, and movie theaters.
These great downtowns, together with highly rated schools (check NJ Monthly's ratings!)
make these sought-after towns.

I'd be happy to help you find the right home or provide additional information on these towns.

Marilyn Holda-Fleck
Prudential NJ Properties
908-456-0779
mholdafleck@comcast.net
I live and work in Ronkonkoma which is in Suffolk County. We don't have a downtown but you could go to Smithtown, Sayville, Northport, just to name a few. It's about an hour to NYC by LIRR and there are many great restaurants out here. Let me know if I can set you with a ListingBook Account. It's free and there is absolutely no obligation. Good luck wherever you end up!

Ralph Windschuh
Century 21 Princeton Properties
631-467-0009
rwindschuh@c21princetonproperties.com
Madsion, Chatham, Millburn, Morristown and South Orange are all on the mid-town direct trian line and have great downtowns.
The Jersey Shore has some possibilities for you. When you say reasonable though, that's pretty subjective. People who live at the beach think their one hour commute is reasonable because they love living at the beach. If that is within your timeline, you could consider Bradley Beach or Manasquan. There is train, bus and ferry service to NY. If you'd like more information about these towns and their real estate, contact me through my website.
Web Reference: http://www.dianeglander.com
In Westchester houses do exist in your price range, but in general, they are very small or they are in need of serious fixing. You might consider a condo or a coop to build some equity first. The further away from Manhattan you go, the less expensive it gets. Tarrytown, Ossining are possibilities - but the homes would be very very small.