General Area in Sausalito>Question Details

Sophia Angela, Home Buyer in Sausalito, CA

Where can I live & hear the ocean waves in Sausalito?

Asked by Sophia Angela, Sausalito, CA Thu Dec 27, 2012

Hello, I'm wondering which neighborhoods / streets in Sausalito allow a home owner to hear the ocean waves and have private beach access (hearing the ocean is more important)? I'm also interested in having views of the city if possible and a decently warm climate (I've heard Sausalito can get extremely cold if you live in the wrong area). Does something like this exist in the area?

Answers

6
You can live along the two blocks of Bridgeway in Old Town along the Boardwalk, and at the end of Valley Street, both a great secret! I had the wonderful pleasure of living on the beach, raising my children there, and listening to the water at night with a hammock under the pier , was magical! And you get the million dollar city views too! I am a 25 year native of Sausalito, and agent, and just love it! Have lived in most parts of Sausalito, so if you want expert local Sausalito advice of where to live and what it costs, call me!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 9, 2013
Lol...you CAN't be a 25 year NATIVE of Sausalito! Either you are a native born or you moved in like the rest of us.
Flag Sun Dec 22, 2013
in Sausalito the best you can do is bay-front with views of downtown SF, the Bay Bridge, Tiburon-Belvedere, Angel Island and Alcatraz. You will not hear ocean waves but you can hear the water crashing on the rocks along Bridgeway Blvd. This part of town also offers some of the warmer temperatures in Sausalito. Here are some listings in the area:

http://www.mlsfinder.com/ca_bareis/oggikashi/index.cfm?actio…

Oggi Kashi - 415.690.3792 direct
Broker Associate, Paragon Real Estate Group CA DRE 01844627
All data from sources deemed reliable but subject to errors and omissions, and not warranted.
Web Reference: http://www.oggikashi.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 28, 2012
There are some beach front properties near the Portofino Apartments. Close to water is great, higher up the hill is called Hurricane valley for a good reason. There used to be a wonderful Indian Restaurant on the water there and on warm summer nights you could hang out with all the windows open in a tank top. Truly heavenly. I love Sausalito. There are so many options...you just have to find the best one for you! I enjoy the live music every Friday night in the Park during the summer. See You there.
You can not hear the ocean from any where in Sausalito as we front onto the bay not the ocean. Also stay away from the south end of town as it is very cold and windy if you want warm weather. Some of the best views are from Buckley ave and it is within walking distance from downtown.
Actually you can hear the waves in Sausalito. Get a property in Old Town. Maybe on lower Edwards,Alexander or South.
You can not hear hear the ocean in Sausalito because it is located on The Bay not the ocean. Unless you want to live in Stinson Beach or Muir Beach there are no beach front properties in Marin County. Tiburon has views of San Francisco but like Sausualito it is on the Bay. Marin County is backed up against large open spaces, state Parks and National Parks. These parks protect the ocean areas from develpment., Because of this protection housing is very limited where the sound of the ocean is going to be heard.
Living by Ocean Beach in San Francisco would be your best bet to hear the ocean. However, it is not going to be warm, especially in the summers.
Sausalito does have warmer spots away from Golden Gate Bridge. Although you can not hear the ocean, you can hear the fog horns which is really what Sausalito and San Francisco are known for.
Good Luck in your search.
Thank you Liz. I grew up in Santa Cruz hearing the ocean waves at night, and I'm looking for something similar in the Bay Area. I'd like to be closer to San Francisco so I can commute easily to work and am trying to get something that's not in a super cold area (like east SF) with good schools. All of the suggestions you provided I will look into. Thank you.
Flag Thu Dec 27, 2012