General Area in Baton Rouge>Question Details

Sam Lyles, Home Buyer in Sandy Springs, GA

Where are the hip/artsy neighborhoods in Baton Rouge?

Asked by Sam Lyles, Sandy Springs, GA Wed Mar 27, 2013

Hey folks!

I am looking at grad schools and LSU is at the top of my list. I have been to Baton Rouge once before but did not venture out from the campus.

To my question... What are the cool/hipster/artsy neighborhoods in Baton Rouge? I am looking for someplace similar to (if you are familiar with the places) East Atlanta, GA; Mission district, SF, CA; Wicker Park, Chicago; and East Austin, TX... Google any of those places and you'll get the idea.

I'm coming out there to do some exploring and would like to know where to start.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Sam

Answers

8
Looks like everyone pretty much covered it so just Welcome to the area!

I'm a transplant too so if you need anything at all feel free to email or call. justcallmags@gmail.com or 225.505.8725
Web Reference: http://www.houseade.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Aug 4, 2013
garden district is full of funky older homes if you're looking for a place to live. capital heights tends to be similar, but the garden district is for the artsy for sure. spanish town is another good option. be advised - rentals in these areas go FAST and have a higher price tag because of more desirability.
Spanish Town, Beauregard Town, Ogden Park, Zee Zee Gardens, University Gardens, Capital Heights, the list goes on..... and so will the price as these are some of the most eclectic and highly sought after areas to live in. Are you looking to purchase or lease? I am a neighborhood REALTOR for the LSU Lakes area and would love to help and get more info on what you are looking for.
Feel Free to email me at naengle@kw.com
Pick LSU!
Capital Heights= small space big price but very cute neighborhood. Garden District, even larger price. Odgen Park has several vintage shops/radio bar/art studios, descent size homes on larger lots than Capital Heights and more affordable. ZeeZee Gardens is also artsy. Finally, sometimes there are spaces above restaurants/bars downtown.
Hey Sam, I just wanted to check with you to see if you were going to be in town anytime soon? I would love to show you around. I'm a native of Baton Rouge and so I could show you all around town. Message me if you need more info on homes in the Baton Rouge area.

Aimee
if you are looking for bohemian, flamboyant, pink flamingos ... thats spanish town
Sam,

Garden District and Capital Heights is what you are looking for!
Hey Sam!

Places close to LSU that would be similar I would say Southdowns area. I could email you some homes around there. Most homes are walking distance to shopping, restaurants and bars.
Downtown BR also has a few homes and condos for sale or lease that might interest you.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Aimee