General Area in Seattle>Question Details

mjl54, Home Buyer in Seattle, WA

Where a young professional should live in Seattle?

Asked by mjl54, Seattle, WA Wed May 16, 2012

I am a 25 year old young professional relocating to Seattle for my dream job with Amazon.com. I'm looking to buy a place to live once I get there. My question is, what are the best neighborhoods (in the city of neighborhoods, so I hear) for a single young professional who goes out a lot?

Answers

20
I completely agree with most of what has been said, especially Arron. You really have to get a feel for the neighborhoods in order to decide where you want to live. And they are all so different from each other. I lived in Seattle for a long time & I lived in Queen Anne, Ballard, & Wallingford & have friends in the other mentioned neighborhoods as well as sold homes in all of them. But, you do not need my opinion or anyone else's about which is best. We can tell you about the character of each neighborhood & then you just to to room around on Friday night and during the day & see what you see along with looking at the weekend entertainment schedule Which you can see at the Seattle Times Weekender & the Stranger newspaper.

You might also want to choose an agent to work with that knows the neighborhoods very well. I would suggest, that as a buyer, you Google every agent that responds to your question here on Trulia, learn as much as you can about who they are online, read their client testimonials, so you know what their clients are saying about them, and then give us each a call and just ask us why we think you should work with us instead of another agent. This will take you a little while to do, but will be time well spent, as choosing the right agent is the first step towards choosing the right home. Then, pick the best fit for you and let them go to work for you with the skill and knowledge that they have. I hope to hear from you soon. 206-841-9976

Good luck to you in any case,

Jirius Isaac
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 19, 2012
If you go out a lot and like to hang out in bars, Capital Hill is the place to be. If you are active and like outdoor sports (running, bike, basketball, soccer, tennis, volleyball, etc.) check out the Greenlake neighborhood. You are going to love it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 14, 2014
Depending on your scene you will want to check out Belltown, Queen Anne, Ballard, Wallingford to start. Really it depends on the energy and the types of things you like to do when you go out. I suggest a tour of the scene in each neighborhood before you purchase.
Web Reference: http://www.arronrenfrew.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 16, 2012
4/3/2014

Mjl54

How did your relocation go ? and where did you end up buying or renting ?

thanks

Dave Skow - WA MLO #278613
Eagle Home Mortgage
w 206 714 9745
dskow@eaglehomemortgage.com
Welcome to Seattle and congrats on your new job!

One of the hippest and most walkable neighborhoods in Seattle is Capital Hill. Many young professionals live there and walk or bus downtown to Amazon HQ's. Capital Hill has lots of cafes, coffee places, clubs, and an easy commute. Just down the hill is downtown where new condos are being built, the only ones in Seattle at this time, near the new Amazon buildings planned. The new condos will not be done until 2015, and they are being sold as pre-sales now. A good investment with already prices going up on some floor plans.

Let me know if you want to know about some of the other neighborhoods. I have lived in Seattle for over 35 years and was born and raised here. I work downtown and specialize in the urban market.

Mary
I would also consider downtown Bellevue! Many Amazon employees live here as well. Walk to excellent shopping, dining, parks, and marina with easy access to the bridges.
Hello, I am very similar age to you and I live in Queen anne. Google neighborhoods in Seattle and you will be able to read about each neighborhood individually.

Popular areas to go out on the weekends are Capitol Hill, downtown, belltown, Ballard, and Fremont. Contact a realtor specifically if you have questions on locations.

If you want to get prequalified, please contact me directly.
Among the hot places that many young professionals go for are neighborhoods in the downtown or city area. These are relatively close to the shopping, business, and nightlife centers in Seattle. One can easily walk to the other areas in the city center. There are no houses in these areas, only condos and apartments. It might also be difficult to find a parking space, but one can definitely go without a car in these neighborhoods. To learn more, visit http://goo.gl/qezZ0c.
Near Eastlake, Capitol Hill, or downtown Seattle at the new Insignia Condos being built only minutes from the new Amazon towers. They will start pre sales after Labor Day.
Let me know if you want more info.

Welcome to a great city!
Any answer from an agent would require a few questions of our own first; Where do you work? What time of day do you commute? The answers are important to any Real Estate Professional in getting to know your needs in addition to your desires. If a client is willing to drive no more than 30 minutes to work, that will have a lot to do with where we can recommend. It's extremely difficult to say where the "best neighborhood" is..The answer is different for ever individual customer.
I really like Ballard. I am originally from Seattle and that area has been up and coming for years now. There is a nice farmer's market and good sense of community. My family has owned an apartment building in that area for years and it is becoming more and more popular.
MjL54 - I am currently looking to relocate to Seattle and I am searching for job opportunities. Was it hard to get a job at Amazon living out of state? I am in the Marketing/Communications field.

Thanks in advance for getting back to me!
If you'd like to get to know fellow Amazonians and live near work, (regardless of which Seattle campus you are in), I would recommend renting at The Metropolitan. It's the relocation location for Amazon. My husband works at Amazon, and half of his team lives there. It's downtown and convenient. If you'd like to look at properties in the area, or find something in a hip-youthful neighborhoood, I can help you. I specialize in Ballard, a very nice location that's known for nightlife, art, people, pubs and more. If I can be of help please don't hesitate to let me know.

Warm Regards,

Vikki
I recommend renting first. Seattle has a real diversity of neighborhoods. Several neighborhoods nearby to the Amazon campus include Eastlake, Queen Anne, and Capitol Hill. However, you might also like the quieter lakeside community of Madison Park, or the beachy neighborhood of Alki. Really, you need to be here and explore Seattle. Speaking as a native Seattleite, born & raised, you're going to LOVE it here!
Not sure if you're planning to rent for a while before buying, but if so, any of these rentals would be a good start for you. My personal favorite is Capitol Hill but Queen Anne and Belltown will also provide plenty for you to do.

Click the following URL to see the Listings:
http://www.matrix.nwmls.com/DE.asp?k=1581059X440K&p=DE-2…
I always feel that the best place for anyone is where they will feel the most comfortable living within their budget.
Questions to ask yourself are, what is important to you? Transit? Will you own a car, a scooter, a bicycle? Do you enjoy the arts? Do you like to hike and enjoy the outdoors? Do you like the water? Do you want a view?
Then start looking at the available places within your budget in those areas. You may be surprised that the area you choose may not be where you expected to end up.
First off, congrats on your new job- how exciting! I would recommend South Lake Union, Downtown, Belltown or Capitol Hill. Based on what you shared, Downtown is in walking distance to work, restaurants, bars, and shops. I live in Downtown and love it. Check out my site below, and if you have further questions about market info, specific buildings, or the best happy hours, let me know.
Congrats on your dream job! There are lots of great neighborhoods that are a short distance from South Lake Union. There is Eastlake, Capitol Hill, and Queen Anne. These three neighborhoods, in particular, are within walking distance, or a short bike or bus ride. Belltown is also pretty close, and there is a lot of nightlife there. Queen Anne features lots of restaurants and shops on the south side, aka 'lower Queen Anne. Capitol Hill is among the most eclectic and busy neighborhoods, with lots of nightlife near the Broadway district. It all depends on your lifestyle, and what you're looking for. If you have specific questions, feel free to contact me.

Welcome to Seattle.
Capitol Hill, it is walkable and just up the hill from Amazon. Apartments and condos from Pike/Pine corridor to Roy Street and Melrose Ave to east of Broadway. If you want help with a rental or condo let me know, I live and work on Capitol Hill.
There are lots of options - South Lake Union (which is right by Amazon), Capital Hill, Belltown, and Ballard, for example. Depending on what exactly you're looking for, there are other areas too. If you want to buy, feel free to contact me, I'd be happy to help you with your search.