General Area in San Diego>Question Details

Emily Saler, Renter in Berkeley, CA

When to start looking for an apartment/ best neighborhood for a young professional?

Asked by Emily Saler, Berkeley, CA Sat Mar 16, 2013

I'm graduating from UC Berkeley Spring 2014 and plan to move to San Diego Fall 2014. I don't know whether it would be better to live by the beach or downtown-east village (somewhere nice). I have a medium-size dog, so preferably an area with parks/rec/beach. I'm also looking for a great nightlife, restaurants, shopping, NOT THE SUBURBS. How early should I start looking for an apartment/house? All around I'm just looking for a nice neighborhood.

Answers

3
As the others have said, starting looking at least 2 months ahead of time. You have identified the two most popular areas for young people. Neither area is known for great parks...your best park downtown is Balboa Park, and in Pacific Beach, you have...the beach!

The quality of apartment will probably be better downtown as it features more 'newer' homes. Pacific Beach properties tend to be older.

Hello, it can take up to 3 months to find home. If you are considering downtown area you may be open to a Condo that also include HOA fees. The beach area is also nice and both locations is central to most things. At this time the housing inventory is low, meaning there are more buyer's than homes for sale. So when you start looking and you see something you like it is important to contact your real estate professional right away and schedule a time to see the property. The key is to be prepared to make an offer when you see the home you like. Talking to a lender would be a first step, to see what you may qualify for and then the home shopping fun begins. If you would like more information, please contact me, I am happy to help.
Start looking in San Diego about 2 months before move because places go quickly